The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a 30 gallon peaceful community planted tank which I have setup for about 2 months now. The current fish inventory is as follows:

2 sword tails
9 cardinal tetras
3 clown loaches (very small)
4 flying fox
8 octo's
4 marble hatchets.

I know Im prob at max capacity, but I was thinking of adding 1 or 2 very small (<1 inch) koi angels i saw for sale at my store. I'd eventually like to see my tank heavily planted, but that is still a work in progress as I'd say I'm about 1/3 of the way there with plants perform water changes about every 2 weeks.

Is it a bad idea to add 1 or 2 very small koi angels at this point due to them becoming agressive or my tank reaching its capacity limit?

Thanks.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
Bad, very bad idea.
Small Angels grow into large Angels, if they live that long. 3 Clown loaches get huge ...

v3

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks for the heads up, I figured on so. Ya, I understand at some point I will have to swap out the Clown loaches, for now they are on snail patrol.

Opinion if my tank is at max capacity?

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
A tank being at max is a situation that depends on who maintains it more than size for this type fish. If they get too big and the bio-load is more than the filtering and water changing, then it is overstocked. But if the filtering and owner keep the water good without trouble, then it is fine. Testing will tell you how the water is going.
See the drift? More fish, more work is fine. More fish , less work means real trouble. I go for getting the fish you like and if there is a problem, sounds like you know where to go with the extra fish. I keep fish, not marry them!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
1 angel in a 30 is fine prob is that is all that would be in there. angels are cichlids and can be mean and nippy even when small. all kinda depends on the fish. with that said all those fish they really wont have room to swim. and yeah clowns get 10 or more in time and flying fox get mean as all get out when they get older. sword tails are pretty nippy as well and if they are both male (both have swords) one will end up killing the other.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
1 angel in a 30 is fine prob is that is all that would be in there. angels are cichlids and can be mean and nippy even when small. all kinda depends on the fish. with that said all those fish they really wont have room to swim. and yeah clowns get 10 or more in time and flying fox get mean as all get out when they get older. sword tails are pretty nippy as well and if they are both male (both have swords) one will end up killing the other.
But they have said that they are expecting to move fish when needed! Is there any reason not to have the fish one enjoys just because at some point they may create trouble? Trouble may come along at some point but isn't that pretty much the norm for fish tanks? As long as it is understood that it is possible, I find it really restrictive to not have the fish he wants if he is willing to do the necessary watching and work if it becomes needed. the worst that can happen is some fish may get stressed and need to be removed.
If we all did the same with plants there would be lots of bare tanks around. Plants may get too big , they may die. Does that mean it is better to not try? Throw the fish and plants out and hide under the bed. Bad things might happen!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
i had 6 angels in my 55 and not a one of them ever nipped anything and only time they chased was when they had eggs. they didnt even bother the guppies. the columbians were more after the guppy fry. it all depends on the fish.

part of being a good fish keeper just like any animal is doing research first. if you know you are only going to have a 30 gal its best to get things that need the same parameters and will do well together. and to check the size they get. thats just me though.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have seen and kept angels in numerous different tanks, from 10g and up. It depends on the fish, it's size, temperament, tank mates, tank scape, etc. There are numerous factors to take into consideration and still each and every fish is different, so it's still luck of the draw.

That said I personally think you tank is at max capacity, and adding more fish will only cramp conditions more, which will lead to the fish being less comfortable and more aggressive.

my 2c.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Angels are cheap. I would also side along with getting it. Sometimes you gotta see it, feel it and then you will be able to move on with it. Don't lose sleep over a fish dude. That's nonsense and you will always be tempted whenever you hear about angels. Do it!! You can always fix any problem in any tank. As long as you remember to let something go when you know its time. :sleep:

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I'll throw another spin on it.

I breed angels. Lots of 'em.

In process of growing them out, there are runts from the outset. They never get to the size of peas. Some will hit the wall at larger sizes. The reasons can be genetic, environmental (water quality, bacteria, etc.), and individual traits (shy, slow feeders in a crowded tank).

So that you may certainly be able to "keep" them, they may not necessarily thrive. So that with all those fast-movers in there a couple of small angels will most likely have a tough time getting what they need to keep growing. There's every possibility is that they may survive, but will stop growing into their bodies. Stunted fish will eventually succumb to internal bacterial infections.

Given that the IP is open to and realizes that some of the current inhabitants need to be re-homed, it's just part of the game to know what to expect and how to deal with a crowded tank. I certainly agree that quality filtration and aggressive water changes can counteract lots of what a crowded tank will suffer from. But even those good habits won't counteract the issues we really have no control over, like genetics, stress levels, and more passive individuals.

·
Registered
782 Posts
You have a 30 gallon PEACEFUL community tank going on.
Why upset the apple cart? I would QT anything new in a separate tank for fear it might infect my happy tank and make it not-so-happy. So, if you are going to set up a QT, mine as well set up a proper permanent tank, and get the angels.
Opps-I see it now...symptoms of MTS :)

-Stef*

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.