The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a 20 gallon long tank that's been set up for about 8 months now. It's moderately planted, and stocked with 8 peppered corys, 7 chili rasbora, and a handful of shrimp and snails.

It has a SunSun HW302 canister filter. The intake is in the back right corner a few inches off the sand. The spray bar is against the short right wall pointing up at a 45 degree angle.

It use to do a really good job of keeping the sand clean and all the crud shoved into the back corner by the intake. Within the last month or so it seems like the plant mass has gotten to the point that they are breaking up or slowing down the flow along the sand, so stuff is just building up.

I was thinking of adding a small powerhead on the far left side pointing down towards the sand. Do you guys think this would be too much for my 20 long tank? I also worry about the tiny rasbora getting beat up by the flow.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Is your canister filter dirty? I noticed on my HOB filter when it gets filthy it reduces the flow and doesn't circulate the tank enough. Once I clean it the flow is much better and I don't get build ups. But this is on a 10 gallon tank. Don't know if it makes a difference.

Hello. I have a 20 gallon long tank that's been set up for about 8 months now. It's moderately planted, and stocked with 8 peppered corys, 7 chili rasbora, and a handful of shrimp and snails.

It has a SunSun HW302 canister filter. The intake is in the back right corner a few inches off the sand. The spray bar is against the short right wall pointing up at a 45 degree angle.

It use to do a really good job of keeping the sand clean and all the crud shoved into the back corner by the intake. Within the last month or so it seems like the plant mass has gotten to the point that they are breaking up or slowing down the flow along the sand, so stuff is just building up.

I was thinking of adding a small powerhead on the far left side pointing down towards the sand. Do you guys think this would be too much for my 20 long tank? I also worry about the tiny rasbora getting beat up by the flow.

·
Registered
209 Posts

I added a powerhead to my tank for better circulation because I was getting algae and since adding the powerhead my tank is starting to have less algae. Im using the hydor nano 240 and one morning I woke to a shrimp that got trapped in the casing so I had wrap pantyhose my daughter outgrew around the intake and everything is good now but flow about half power with the pantyhose.

·
Registered
502 Posts
A power-head couldn't hurt things. Just make sure that you angle it so it doesn't blow sand into the canister intake. As for the fish, they will find a calm spot to hang out in.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is your canister filter dirty? I noticed on my HOB filter when it gets filthy it reduces the flow and doesn't circulate the tank enough. Once I clean it the flow is much better and I don't get build ups. But this is on a 10 gallon tank. Don't know if it makes a difference.
I actually cleaned it out last week hoping that would help. I fiddled with the output too, but it hasn't seemed to help any.

A power-head couldn't hurt things. Just make sure that you angle it so it doesn't blow sand into the canister intake. As for the fish, they will find a calm spot to hang out in.
Thanks! Do you have any recommendations on a powerhead?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I actually cleaned it out last week hoping that would help. I fiddled with the output too, but it hasn't seemed to help any.

Thanks! Do you have any recommendations on a powerhead?
No recommendations on any particular brand from me. Some people swear by this or that, only use this or that, say such and such is crap-get a (this one), etc. and I don't want to open up the proverbial "Can of Worms". I say just buy the best that you can afford. Also consider that what you need in a 20 will be different than what someone needs in a 75. There are also circulation pumps that you can buy. I believe that you can get both types with adjustable flow also.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No recommendations on any particular brand from me. Some people swear by this or that, only use this or that, say such and such is crap-get a (this one), etc. and I don't want to open up the proverbial "Can of Worms". I say just buy the best that you can afford. Also consider that what you need in a 20 will be different than what someone needs in a 75. There are also circulation pumps that you can buy. I believe that you can get both types with adjustable flow also.
Thanks. I'll look at some different ones. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 20 tall and have an eheim 2217 canister along with a hydor koralia nano 240 for additional flow. The flow out of the hydor is very widely dispersed and not a narrow jet stream so it doesn't seem to bother the fish too much

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 20 tall and have an eheim 2217 canister along with a hydor koralia nano 240 for additional flow. The flow out of the hydor is very widely dispersed and not a narrow jet stream so it doesn't seem to bother the fish too much
Thanks, I'll take a look at that one. The chili rasbora are so tiny I worry about them getting beat up by any extra flow.

Your tank is almost the same size as mine. I think just changing to a lilly pipe for outflow and keeping the filter sponge clean will provide enough water movement

Waddo.
I have a SunSun 302. Are there lily pipes that would fit it? Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.