The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i went to petsmart looking for a sponge to cover my filter intake because a few of my ghost shrimp have been carrying around eggs. i was expecting to search forever and have to cut to fit, etc. i saw this sticker "NEW ITEM!" from fluval. i thought it was perfect, and i've never heard anyone mention using it. so i picked it up for $2.50 (+ a 1$ donation as always :p ) voila! it fit perfect over my filter intake and didn't affect the flow. it's also kind of stretchy so i think it would fit a variety of over the edge/in tank filters. sorry if this is old news, but new to me! :)

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Fluval Edge is a really nice new self-contained system. I'm guessing that's the prefilter for the filter on that system. Not bad for $2.50. I've got really ugly cut-to-fit sponge prefilters on mine.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Pre-filters

One can get the whole array of pre-filters at www.jehmco.com

Personally, with a cannister filter and shrimps, I use Hydro-sponge Filter-Max3, which includes elbows and multiple adapters to fit various filter intake tubes.

I take off and clean the sponge every week under running water. One can be surprised as to how much dirt it contains. With shrimps in the tank, be conscious that a lot of small shrimplets feed on the dirt on the sponge and first rinse it lightly in some container, so you can see that any shrmiplets won't be flushed down the drain...

I cannot imagine running a cannister filter without pre-filter. It really saves on frequency of servicing a main filter.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I find that they clog to quickly, I like the zoo med 501 sponges better.
yea i originally was looking for this, but couldn't find one and was in a hurry, thought it was a nice alternative

1 - 8 of 8 Posts