The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed one of my BN Ancistrus was a little skinny so that evening at lights out I dropped in a half dozen algae wafers and went to bed. There are also two other BN, six ottos and a very large reticulated botia, so I didnt give a second thought to dropping six wafers in there.
Got up the next morning and went to check that tank. I couldnt believe what I saw. One of my nine year old silver dollars looked like it had eaten all the wafers itself. Very distended belly and upside down swimming in odd patterns, with its mate swimming along nosing it from time to time. Didnt know what to do other than wait it out.
It took about three days, with a little improvement each day. Now its upright and swimming just like nothing happened and back to being a hog, except I wont drop in that many whole wafers again. One of many lessons along the way,lol. Snuffy317

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Wow! I wouldn't think they could eat all of those (or most of those for that matter). You could have tried to feed him peas to try and flush it out, but I wouldn't think the fish would eat much after doing all that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts