The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After numerous issues with my tap water I am debating going 100% R/O. My biggest worry is there not being enough calcium for my inverts. Is there enough in ferts to keep molts and shells healthy? And I know this has been talked to death, but I refuse to use Flourish Excel (after a bad experiment) what other ferts can I use?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Well first, Excel isn't a fert, its CO2 replacement. For ferts I use Seachem Flourish no problem and many other shrimp keepers use other ferts without much of a problem. Excel can be harmful to shrimp in full or higher dosages, but again, its not a fert.

As for adding RO water, yes you need to add something the water to put calcium back into it. You can use Mosura Mineral Plus, Kent's RO right, Fluval Shrimp Mineral Supplement or others, the 3 I listed probably being the most popular used among users here.

What type of shrimp are you keeping?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was having problems with Excel even at half doses every other day. Now I know this is going to sound really stupid...but I guess I am here to learn. When I look at the label of my Flourish Excel - I see loads of minerals listed. I was under the impression that this also was a trace mineral fertilizer.

In any case, until this point I had be relying on my hard water for all of the minerals my plants needed and all the calcium my shrimp needed. The plants did go through a period of adjustment, but then my growth was really pretty good without too many ferts. But after some near disasters with wonky water and very very slow shrimp breeding, I need to make some big changes.

If I were to use something like Fluval Shrimp Mineral Supplement, would I then use something like Root Medic Complete for a fertilizer?

Once I get my Cherries reproducing the way I would like, I wanted to move on to either Tigers or Crystals.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
That's flourish comprehensive that's full of minerals.

You can use any fertilizers, just don't go too crazy with em.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Since you also have cherries, you can consider the cheaper alternative: mixing tap and RO water. I'll assume your tap probably has tons of gH and kH, which is why you're using RO for even RCS. You can easily do a 20% tap, 80% RO mixture to replenish minerals.

Later down the road when you do decide to keep CRS, you will need to get mineral supplements though.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
As for adding RO water, yes you need to add something the water to put calcium back into it. You can use Mosura Mineral Plus, Kent's RO right, Fluval Shrimp Mineral Supplement or others, the 3 I listed probably being the most popular used among users here.
+1 exactly that will solve your problems. A TDS pen does wonders for this.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the TDS pen info! I think I have settled on Kent RO Right. And for ferts I was thinking Kent Pro Plant. Thoughts?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts