The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
This one guy broke in, caught his ex girlfriend's oscar-fish and stomped him to death.

... I heard on another forum. Evil is in this place...

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Lawyers, guns and money are a lot worse. Fried gold fish is WAY over on the mild side of the scale. LOL (burp) pass the tums plz

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
A friend of mine married a lady from Vietnam. He had several gouramis in his aquarium. One day when he came home from work, his wife had fried the gouramis for supper. :eek:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Alot of fish in the hobby is and are edible.

I'm guessing since goldfish is a carp. Tilapia is a carp. They must tase somewhat the same ^^

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
A local seafood restaurant had Oscar as the "catch of the day" recently.

I sure wouldn't eat them.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
WoW.....

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
A local seafood restaurant had Oscar as the "catch of the day" recently.

I sure wouldn't eat them.
I've read that natives in the Amazon eat Oscars. Some also eat Piranha's but they are often missing finger tips.:icon_roll
I've seen a variety of Gouramis in an aquarium, in an Indian restaurant that could be described as "Pan sized", maybe they-are eaten in Asia. I've also read about freshwater crayfish in New Zealand weighing 7 lbs. Now if an EX had those then maybe.....

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Please use the edit button instead of posting three times in a row.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Alot of fish in the hobby is and are edible.

I'm guessing since goldfish is a carp. Tilapia is a carp. They must tase somewhat the same ^^
I thought tilapia was a cichlid?

That's so weird for someone to eat their pet fish...

It reminds me of an episode of Law and Order where someone put a girl's cat in the oven for payback D:

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
i dunno. how big were the goldfish? i heard goldfish or carp in general were very bony fish. not too much meat on them. most of the space in their bodies is lined up with intestinal tract, once when you clean that out, there's not much left.

·
Registered
499 Posts
i dunno. how big were the goldfish? i heard goldfish or carp in general were very bony fish. not too much meat on them. most of the space in their bodies is lined up with intestinal tract, once when you clean that out, there's not much left.
I have netted carp from the local lake to use as catfish bait and while bony they were very muscular. Lots of fun to try and catch with a fishing pole.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
People are crazy... I am sure goldfish is eatable but to eat or hurt someones pet just because you mad at them is very low in my books....

It reminds me of an episode of Law and Order where someone put a girl's cat in the oven for payback D:
:eek5: At least it's only a television show...
Actualy the televison show based it on a real story, before my computer crashed I had a link to it. A girl broke into her friends house, they had a fight a day before, trashed it, put her 6 month kitten into an oven and turned it on, very sickening and messed up story if you ask me.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Piranha is good, it's just bony. Mild white meat, just you have to pick out a sharp wishbone-shaped bone between every flake of meat (which is annoying.) And it's totally a myth that they'll rip apart any animal in the water with them; I mean, I'm sure it happens on rare occasion if they're starving, but their normal feeding pattern is to take a bite out of a fish and run- most of the time leaving the fish to live and provide another meal another day. They're so prolific they are the staple food along much of the Amazon river.

Cichlids are usually good eating. Tilapia were introduced all over the world to be farmed for their meat.

Peacock bass is the tastiest fish I've ever put in my mouth, to date...

Pets are a luxury much of the world simply can't afford.

Moral of the story- most fish are good eating. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts