The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone this is my first entry on my first attempt at a planted tank. I have had freshwater tanks for years and was ready to try something different. i saw a planted tank at my local fish store and thought it was pretty cool. So i looked them up on google and found this forum with all kinds of great information. So i read up on a lot of things on this forum and decided to give it a try. I just broke my tank down a couple of days ago and have worked on setting up my planted tank for the last couple of days.

Here is what i am working with right now:

48" x 12" x 21" 55 gallon
3 x 42 watt 6500K CFL
2"-3" MGOCPM w/ 2" PFS
HOT magnum canister filter
200 watt heater

Here is a link to a picture of my tank as of right now. I know it is sparsely planted but i wanted to make sure i could grow these before i bought a whole lot more. What does everyone think of my start? I don't really know what i am doing so I'm willing to listen to any comments, tips, or anything else you want to say.

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2250/img0738mk.jpg

·
Are these real?
15,702 Posts
I would recommend to start with more plants. I know that sounds a bit counter-intuitive, but often, if you have too little plant mass in the beginning, things never quite balance out, and you end up in algae land. Stuffing the tank full of fast growers from the start will help to get the tank established.

There are plenty folks here who throw away buckets full of plants every other week. :icon_redf Perhaps if you put a WTB out there with what you are willing to pay for a package, you would get a number of offers, and one of them might just fill up your tank.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First Update

Ok time for my first update. I just received the plants that i ordered off this forum to try and fill out my tank. Thanks to bartohog, the plants all looked healthy and ready to go in the tank.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the end result after i planted these plants. i really have no idea which plants are which or where to put them so i just started planting them. i hope they turn out alright. If anyone has advice or suggestions i am more than willing to listen. or if you want to make fun of me cause i have no idea what i am doing (which i dont) ill listen to that to.

Left side

Right Side

Full View

Sorry my glass is a mess, its an old tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts