The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Sharks have been known to swim up tributaries (at least I'm assuming that's the case here.) In fact there was a series of pretty famous shark attacks where a great white/tiger swam up a river and bit a bunch of people. If I'm remembering my shark attack history correctly, anyway.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you link to the YouTube video? That is pretty amazing, but I want to watch it with sound.
I think its the same video (no sound)

Sharks have been known to swim up tributaries (at least I'm assuming that's the case here.) In fact there was a series of pretty famous shark attacks where a great white/tiger swam up a river and bit a bunch of people. If I'm remembering my shark attack history correctly, anyway.
Yeah, it's on shark week every year (also known as the best week of the year). This is a lagoon, though. The shark was trapped in there for like 2 weeks!

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Something like this seems to happen like every year in MA in August. I think there was a great white or something in some salt pond this past summer or something, maybe it was a public beach? Dunno, its common since they're looking for seals...

-Andrew

·
Registered
303 Posts

That's where the movie Jaws came from.

Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Shore_shark_attacks_of_1916

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
They've caught bull sharks 200 miles up the Mississippi River.
+1 Bull sharks have been known to hang out an brackish/fresh water for long periods of time. They are also very bitty...

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
My family rented a houseboat in the Keys during lobster sport season a few years ago. We all spread out snorkeling the day before the season opened to scope out likely spots to snag some.

My dad was up in some mangroves watching some snook and he felt this tugging on his flipper. He thought it was my mom trying to get his attention and was annoyed that she was going to scare away the snook, so he kept trying to ignore her. But the tugging kept going, so finally he turned around- to find it was a 4' bull shark "investigating" him. He was glad it wasn't much bigger, and had stuck to his flipper rather than moving up his leg!! It swam off when he waved his arms at it, though.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
My family rented a houseboat in the Keys during lobster sport season a few years ago. We all spread out snorkeling the day before the season opened to scope out likely spots to snag some.

My dad was up in some mangroves watching some snook and he felt this tugging on his flipper. He thought it was my mom trying to get his attention and was annoyed that she was going to scare away the snook, so he kept trying to ignore her. But the tugging kept going, so finally he turned around- to find it was a 4' bull shark "investigating" him. He was glad it wasn't much bigger, and had stuck to his flipper rather than moving up his leg!! It swam off when he waved his arms at it, though.
That is scary.... Bull sharks and reef sharks attack more then most other sharks. Many people don't know that. Allot of people think of "Jaws" when they hear "Shark Attack". That's what gives the White Shark a bad name. They are a deadly predator, no doubt about it but, deserve their place our/their oceans. White sharks usually bite and let go... Just kind of investigating. The problem is, their bite is big!

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
it happened in NJ near Cape May i beleive in the victorian era...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.