The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I've seen many a case of disappearing pleco. I remember thinking that one of mine has died and as eaten by my oscars... Found him a half a year later when the driftwood in the tank was looking smaller around the hole, flipped it over and voila- a pleco. A lot of them have a taste for driftwood so if you have a driftwood cave they will stay there eating and pooping until it's gone only venturing out after lights out to seek out forgotten food bits.

·
Registered
792 Posts
My clown pleco is notorious for hiding but sometimes he will come out if hungry enough. My various bn (8 across 4 tanks) are mixed - some are quite bold esp when i drop in some zuc others i almost never see. One i've only seen twice the past 18 months. Of my 7 L204 they are also a mix bag. I managed to train one stay out most of the time but then he fell into his old ways when I moved him to another tank - a couple will hang out in front but some i almost never see - all are very shy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine came out of his log in daylight yesterday for a little while. I had dropped in a couple algae wafers. I don't know if that lured him out. Usually I'd only catch a glimpse of him when the moonlight is on.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah, mine have always stayed hidden. Males more than females it seems. Also they hide more as they get older IMO. If you remove his favorite spot just make sure he has another that works for him, but allows you to see him. They'll always find a place to hide. If you put it in a bare tank they will hide behind the plumbing or heater.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 2, at least I think I still have 2, bristlenose. I took my old guy as dead and bought another one. The old guy is still around and lucky if I see him one a month. I cut him some slack as he is over 20 years old. The younger one is out all the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.