The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I am assuming this is going to be a repeating theme here. I just got my tax refund and am thinking of getting a RO Unit. As I was browsing I came across this unit BRS 4 Stage RO ONLY System - 75GPD . How easy are they to install? I have 200+TDS (Hard Water) how often will I have to change filters? Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If you really think you need it...personally with that high of TDS I would go with RODI.

There are many places to get decent systems...bulk reef supply, airwaterice,

You just have to decide on how many gallons per day rated system you will need. The performance of these systems is dependent on the pressure of your tap. If you have low pressure you many need a booster pump. Basically, if you bought a 100gpd system and your tap pressure was low, you may not get the 100gpd performance out of the system. Just something you have to consider.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I can see a charcoal filter, but isn't RO overkill for freshwater? If you use charcoal in your canister filter this will remove impurities. I would spend the $ elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I can see a charcoal filter, but isn't RO overkill for freshwater? If you use charcoal in your canister filter this will remove impurities. I would spend the $ elsewhere.
For most yes. But if you have breeding tanks or discus tank you should have RO and possibly RO/DI. I have a unit for my SW reef so I just make RO/DI for the SW and RO for the FW tanks

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
What's being discussed here is bringing down the mineral content not purifying the water. Charcoal doesn't suffice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts