The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After upgrading my lights Im thinking of going pressurized. Now I was researching and these are the things I need:

* CO2 cylinder
* Pressure Regulator
* Needle Valve
* Bubble Counter
* Diffusion Reactor

Am I right? If not please correct me. Anyway, a store around here sells CO2 cylinders like this:

CO2 Cylinder

The only thing it doesnt have is the bronze top. They also have a CO2 kit that comes with a regulator, the thing that tells you how much pressure, and a diffusion reactor. IDK if they have needle valves, I will have to check, but where can I get them if they dont? What is a diffuser reacotr? I searched and found this:

Diffusion Reactor 1
Diffusion Reactor 2

I am going to be reading up, which is what brought me to this post, aswell as I am going to make sure I get th info first hand! Thanks you guys(and gurls)!:proud:

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
OK, first, think.

Do you really need a pressurized CO2 setup for a 10 gallon tank? Is it worth the $130-$150 you're going to spend for it? Do you even need it, given your lighting is a stock hood w/ two spiral CFs? In my opinion, save up for a larger tank where the cost of pressurized CO2 will far far far outweigh the hassles of DIY.

·
Registered
673 Posts
James from Cali, very good point from epicfish are you wanting to go pressurize just because is a nice equipment to have in addition to what you already have or is it a necessity?Is your tank well set up now or still in the adjusting stage? Regards, JC.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you are looking for a lot of CO2 for a small tank without going pressurized and spending a fortune...two or three (if you really want it) 2L bottles with:

2L bottle (soft drink bottle) filled with warm water to just where the bottle starts to taper off
2 cups sugar
1/4 - 1/2 tsp yeast (depending on how long you want it to last, less yeast = less CO2 = more life to the batch)
1/2 tsp baking soda

Drill or poke a hole in the cap, thread airline or CO2 tubing inside of it, seal it with silicone or hot glue. Grand total = ~$10 depending on how much of each you buy. The bottles you can probably find in your recycle bin.

You'll find it gives you enough CO2 for sure.

I have 3 - 2L bottles on my 14 gallon. I have to change them every month or two.

Adam

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
James, its not a bad idea for you to keep asking questions...this way you can figure out what exactly you want.

A pressurized system for a 10g is overboard IMHO, but I think you may be thinking long-term? Of course the others are right, this is a big investment to make initially, and you can easily apply this system to a larger tank should you move in that direction.

IMHO, an internal diffuser is good, but it will take up way too much space in your 10. These are efficient in a 20+g tank where it can be easily hidden by a thicket of plants or a good hardscape moss-covered rock.

I don't see the problem with pressurized for a 10g...a simple diffuser will be efficient (nano diffuser or some sort). Another option is to run the airline into the intake of an aquaclear power filter (if you can handle the monotonous pop-pop-pop of the impellor smashing the co2). By the ways, if hooked up properly with a solenoid on a timer, a 5lb bottle could last you a year.

Since you're strapped on cash and just make an investment in your lights...consider the DIY approach for now. Any addition of co2 is better than none.

·
Registered
247 Posts
imo the need for P-co2 only comes up when dealing with an aquarium that is 45+ gallons anything under 45 gallons can be covered by a 5 gallon water jug. now i do understand if your thinking about dong a P-co2 system becuse of the plain mess diy co2 causes. but if your only doing it becuse you think you need it you might want to reconsider.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
imo the need for P-co2 only comes up when dealing with an aquarium that is 45+ gallons anything under 45 gallons can be covered by a 5 gallon water jug. now i do understand if your thinking about dong a P-co2 system becuse of the plain mess diy co2 causes. but if your only doing it becuse you think you need it you might want to reconsider.
Been there, done that with a 20 gallon. I now have pressurized CO2 on it and will never look back. OTOH, I would consider DIY for a 10 gallon. I am currently running a 10 gallon at work with a 27 watt Coralife PC clone light and using Excel with great success. I never knew it was so easy. If I knew now what I knew when I started my 20 gallon, I would have saved a lot of $$ and grief with the pressurized CO2 right off the bat.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Been there, done that with a 20 gallon. I now have pressurized CO2 on it and will never look back. OTOH, I would consider DIY for a 10 gallon. I am currently running a 10 gallon at work with a 27 watt Coralife PC clone light and using Excel with great success. I never knew it was so easy. If I knew now what I knew when I started my 20 gallon, I would have saved a lot of $$ and grief with the pressurized CO2 right off the bat.
i agree but sence hes on a budget the P-co2 isint needed. i should rephraze what i said. i should say with tanks under 45 gallons you can get away with diy c02. were as with a tank 46+ it would be a better idea to go with P-co2.

but if you can afford it i would put P-co2 on any size tank.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Correct you are sir. The DIY route is pretty good, but I think Excel is easier and still cheap. $15 worth of Excel should last a year or more in a 10 gallon. The one caveat is that you can't use it with Vals and some other types of plants (can't remember which, Tom Barr had a post somewhere that said what other plants also melt like Vals).

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I have a suggestion James. Don't get the knock off glass diffusers. I just broke one shaking water out of it. I didn't hit it to anywhere. I was holding it in my hand, and it snapped in half. Maybe I was holding it too secure but these didn't really diffuse the water anyway. I was shaking water out of it because I just did a bleach cleaning...

Get a limewood diffuser or one of those sweet water diffusers. Heard good stuff from sweet water diffusers. Or if you have the money go with ADA, but I know you don't :-D.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
My vote is to use Excel on a ten gallon tank. Then, if I was really into going for a pressurized system I would keep my eyes open, looking for sales of used CO2 equipment at a good price. If you are alert enough you can get a complete used CO2 system for less than $100.

But, if I had the $100 to spend, I would first be watching craigslist very closely, looking for a bigger tank. I got my present 45 gallon one that way, for a very good price. That would get you started with a tank that would allow you a lot more options on aquascaping and fish. And, you can still use Excel on that size without going bankrupt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts