The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't stand the site of this tank anymore. It's been setup for a year and a half, plants grow decently, that Amazon sword has been growing fast and almost to the top of the tank. My problem lies in the driftwood. I think it's too big for the tank and is out of scale, making the tank look smaller and claustrophobic. Its also hard to get anything to grown behind it on the left side because the wood is so close to the back glass, withing an inch at some spots. If I tear it down I will probably use a smaller piece of driftwood I already have and use most of the same plants. The other issue with the large driftwood is the Java fern blocks a lot of the light from getting to the bottom of the tank. what do you guys all think?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Where do you plan on moving the tank if you take it down?;)

Sorry, I couldn't help myself haha.

The driftwood does look a little large. I'd take it out and lay it down somewhere and see if there are any other angles that limit the height of the piece. The parts that would be on the substrate could be relatively easy to hide.

I would take out that large sword on the right and rescape the rest. Maybe add some color (some reds would be nice)? Are you dosing ferts / injecting CO2?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's dirted and I dose npk 3 times a week and excel the same. I'm still thinking of ditching that piece of driftwood and using a small one. It takes up so much floor space in already pretty narrow tank

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would actually just cut the large oversized leaves on the sword, this will encourage it to grow more compact and not reach for the top of the tank.

It sounds like you just want less hardscape and more room for planting? Take out the wood, I'd get a red plant like ludwigia perennis/glandulosa to plant slightly behind the existing Java fern, then I'd plant heavily creating a lane down the middle for the eye to follow as your new focal point.. An idea!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i need to take a better pic of the wood just so you can get an idea of how big it really is. The java fern on the left is growing on the wood that basically takes up the entire left side footprint of the tank. hard to see in my original photo. The Amazon Sword is a cool plant, but it's sort of a pain to aquascape with IMO. I have a 15g tall sitting empty I could probably setup to move the sword into. I'd like to just have that in it's own tank just to see how large it will grow.

·
Registered
492 Posts
If you can't stand the sight of it any longer it sounds as though you've already made your decision.
After a year and a half it may be that time anyway so go for it.
Now you get to go into planning and anticipation mode and that's lots of fun. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you can't stand the sight of it any longer it sounds as though you've already made your decision.
After a year and a half it may be that time anyway so go for it.
Now you get to go into planning and anticipation mode and that's lots of fun. Good luck with it.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I am just sick of it, and I want to try to do a better aquascape. Today I started prepping the new substrate I'm going to use which will be Safe T Sorb and sand. I rinsed both outside for a long time to get it clean. I also grabbed a bag of Fafard brand Organic Potting Soil. It looks much cleaner than MGOCPM. I get tired of sifting the twigs and debris out of the Miracle Grow so I'm going to give this a go. I'm also thinking I using a divided of some sort to keep the two different substrates seperated. The wheels are definately turning!:smile:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts