The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Before I begin, yes I have read the stickies and other stickies on other forums. Just wanted to know the personal opinions of other successful shrimp keepers now :)

So I have been into the fish scene for a long long time and have 2 very good running tanks right now, a 40 gallon Amazon scape and a 10 gallon rainbowfish scape. I want to get into setting up shrimp and have been reading up a lot.

My questions are

1) What is a good size for shrimp tanks in general? I saw a 5 gallon long today which looked interesting. My number 1 choice would be a 12 gallon long but gonna have to see if I can find one.
2) What are some compatible fish? I have heard that white clouds are compatible as well as the otos and other fish that do not touch shrimp. I wanted to use maybe neon tetras but not sure about their compatibility.
3) Can shrimp be successfully kept without a TDS meter? I monitor my fish water fairly often and make sure its adequate. Usually its around 6.0 to 6.8 pH with a hardness of 5 or 6. Temps are 81 for the Amazon tank and 77 for the rainbow tank
4) What are some nice color combinations of shrimp? Pictures here would be great! I was thinking of getting some orange pumpkin/yellow shrimp but I know I cannot mix species. Any other colors go well together? Are tiger shrimp too hard to keep for the shrimp noobie?
5) Lighting wise, I want to use LEDs and have it high lighting, about 40 PAR plus at the substrate level. Shrimp are okay with high light I hope?

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
861 Posts
1. In my ten gallon, I've got 103 at last count, a 12 long would be nice, but you can go even smaller if you wanted. I've see them in 1 gallon bowls and such, just not as many.

2. Fish, otto's are safe from what I've read, neons will likely eat the baby shrimp, at the very least, if not peck at the adults. I know my culls don't survive longer than 30 seconds with my neons. Alot of your micro fish like chili rasboras are safe as far as adult shrimp go. May have a bit of predation on the babies.

3. I don't have a TDS meter and mine breed like crazy. Granted they are only cherry shrimp, but that is probably what you will be starting out with something similar to cherries.

4. I'll leave this one for the experts I'm not 100% sure what breeds with what, but if you get impatient there are charts online that show what breeds with what.

5. High light means more plants so yeah I'd have to say they'd be okay with high light.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. In my ten gallon, I've got 103 at last count, a 12 long would be nice, but you can go even smaller if you wanted. I've see them in 1 gallon bowls and such, just not as many.

2. Fish, otto's are safe from what I've read, neons will likely eat the baby shrimp, at the very least, if not peck at the adults. I know my culls don't survive longer than 30 seconds with my neons. Alot of your micro fish like chili rasboras are safe as far as adult shrimp go. May have a bit of predation on the babies.

3. I don't have a TDS meter and mine breed like crazy. Granted they are only cherry shrimp, but that is probably what you will be starting out with something similar to cherries.

4. I'll leave this one for the experts I'm not 100% sure what breeds with what, but if you get impatient there are charts online that show what breeds with what.

5. High light means more plants so yeah I'd have to say they'd be okay with high light.
Just seen Hedge_fund post this link in another thread, sure you've probably ran across it and read it but just in case you haven't.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184517
Thanks Sake, yeah that was actually the first post I started with, the advice for new shrimp keepers sticky. I'll read through it again or spread out as my questions get more specific. Thanks for the subjective answers though. I didn't think about micro fish. If I can find them, then I will definitely go for it or something similar :)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Two different Neocaridina shrimp, such as Blue Pearl and Red Cherry, will interbreed. Also, two different Caridina shrimp, such as Crystal Red and Tiger, will mix. Generally, you don't want to keep Neos together because the hybrids will be clear/brown, but keeping different Caridinas together can give you good results. For instance:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=183422

These 'Tibee' (not to be confused with Taiwan Bee) shrimps are mixtures of who knows what, but they're really cool. I don't know how Micha Nadal does it.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow those do look great! And yeah I read about the species interbreeding. I am not looking to be a mad scientist too much haha but would like to have some color in my tanks. I was thinking maybe PFRs or cherry shrimp. Heard they are great for starters, and maybe orange/yellow? Or tigers if I get into it.

What substrate should I use for shrimp? I have read that aquasoil breaks down if you move it around too much. Was thinking about eco-complete too. I want to be able to grow a good amount of plants as well. I have experience with that so I am not too worried but wantto know whaat people think about substrate.

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
Have a read here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=176557
It gives you a through walk through of everything you need for a tank.

As for substrate, if you're starting with neos, you won't really need aquasoil as neos prefer a closer to neutral pH. Aquasoil can lower pH quite a bit. However aquasoil does provide a good amount of nutrients for plants and is considered a longer lasting substrate.

You can most certainly go with Eco-Complete and if you want to grow a wide variety of plants (even though most people stick with lower demanding plants such as Anubias, Ferns, Moss or Cryptocoryne), you can add root tabs to your substrate. You just need to be careful when you uproot plants.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might go with eco complete. I read through that sticky and I get most of it I think. My concern is that a sponge filter is good but it won't be adequate for circulation. I was going to move my Eheim ECCO pro from my 40 gallon onto this tank and then get a new SUnSUn304b to attach to my 40 gallon tank to increase circulation. About adding shrimp nutrients to the water, is that necessary for beginner shrimp? I was going to try to get some painted fire reds or cherry shrimp and maybe some of the other colored neos which I have read are easier than say tiger shrimp.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I just use tap water, my cherries are fine and loving it. I think the main thing with beginner shrimp is just to keep it simple. The more you start fiddling with things the more chances you have to mess something up. I'd just grab some cherries for now, toss them in a tank see how they do, and make minor changes slowly to see how they react. This also gives you time to read up more, learn a bit more, then try your hand at slightly harder shrimp.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok that's my plan for now. About substrates, which do you think is the best for shrimp? I just read about this Azoo substrate which apparently is good? I kinda want to stay away from aquasoil since it's too expensive haha. My choices are down to Ecocomplete, FLuval stratum, and azoo i think, unless there is better ones

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
1) What is a good size for shrimp tanks in general?

Easy shrimp can be bred in any size basically. The TB's and other harder to keep species I would recommend 20g + for water stability.

2) What are some compatible fish?

Most cases are food, but ottos are usually good. The regular ones, don't know about cocama. I hear BN plecs are sometimes ok but they produce a lot of waste. I'm testing least killie atm and they seem fine. Tetras I would generally avoid....neons have been known babie and juvie shrimp gobblers. Nano corydoras and nanofish are another possibility, I don't consider neons nano though...their mouths are a bit bigger than nano fish for me.

3) Can shrimp be successfully kept without a TDS meter?

If I remember bay water was like magic for jimko....so TDS meters aren't that necessary. Usually when you get ur hardness and pH params right, your tds will be fine too.

4) What are some nice color combinations of shrimp?

Tiger shrimp aren't hard, they should be fine. Ideally for a color spread you could try blue rilis/blue velvets (neocaridina) and tangerine tigers (caridina). Or TT's and Painted Fire Reds (neocaridina). All are pretty hardy.

5) Lighting wise, I want to use LEDs and have it high lighting, about 40 PAR plus at the substrate level. Shrimp are okay with high light I hope? [/B]

Shrimp tend to hide in high light for me.....but if you have plants and mosses, light generally shouldn't be a problem.

Shoulda just texted me :p

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am trying to get a hold on chili rasboras or something like that. Problem is my only supplier is pretty expensive for that fish.

I am gonna plant it well and try to have shady spots. I was gonna use a 30 inch light over the 36 inch tank so the PAR should be lower but still allow me to grow carpeting plants as well as some other nice plants.

I woulda texted you dude but you were probably driving hahaha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.