The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I'm about to tackle something that I've never really had much luck with.....shrimp!
Yeah, I've tried cherrys, amanos and ghost shrimp and they never live more than a few days or a week. This will be the first dedicated setup, as I'm tearing down my 20H and will reuse the stand and equipment on a brand new 25g(24x12x20) that's sitting in my garage. I have some leftover aquasoil (1/2 bag) from my 90g, although I'll probably need another bag. There will be NO Co2, at least for now, so I'll be using mosses and maybe java ferns or other plants that don't necessarily need Co2.
What do you suggest as far as water parameters, how much water to replace at water changes, any dosing? Or, perhaps a good method of getting them acclimated and/or interested in breeding? I'll probably start with a few ghost shrimp and see how they do and if all seems well, I'll move onto something else.
-Ryan

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm particularly interested in what makes shrimp die. I've heard that high NH3, which the aquasoil will leach out at first. I've also heard high iron or (any) copper will kill them. What about ph, temp, anything else? I think the ph out of my tap is around 7.0 and gh/kh is around 3-4. I'll test again to make sure.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Ryan,

Although I have had little experience setting up a specific shrimp tank we have similar goals here. Although my tank size will be smaller some of the experts here steered me away from trying to make this a high light tank.

So my thoughts are to use a 15g with the 2x13w deluxe AHsupply kit. No CO2 and using the low light tank dosing suggested by PB.

So keeping the light low and selecting proper plants will keep a nice tank none the less...

Lately my low light tanks have been doing much better than the 55g, so my confidence is growing this can work...

If the light is still a little much I'll add some frogbit to shade some more...

In either case I'm still going to stuff it with Green Hygro at first to get it cycled a bit prior to adding the shrimp...This way any WC fluctuations are over before they get in. My plan was to go pretty soft with RO and reconstitute but I'm still on the fence about this part.

Then move over my low light slow growers to this tank for safe keeping for a while.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Well I found out the hard way that cherry shrimp are very sensitive to a dramatic ph swing.
I've heard they breed better in 78*f, sponge filters are recommended so that you don't end up sucking up shrimplettes.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Well I found out the hard way that cherry shrimp are very sensitive to a dramatic ph swing.
I've heard they breed better in 78*f, sponge filters are recommended so that you don't end up sucking up shrimplettes.
So long as there is a sponge on the return a HOB can work great. Nylon stockings have also made a nice prefilter. :)

Some just let them go into their Canisters to grow out. Although I never found a single offspring in mine. I unfortunatly have had too may large fish for a population to grow out in my community tank.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an Eheim 2222 canister on that tank. I could use a piece of women's nylons on the intake I suppose, to keep them from getting sucked up.
I really want this to work, so I'll be doing this slowly. I'll be looking for different mosses and maybe move the java fern over from my 90g, as I'll be putting narrow leaf java in there.
ph swings are inevitable in a Co2 injected tank. My ph stays around 6.0-6.2, but the tap water is more like 7.0, so guess what happens during water changes? I suppose that smaller, more frequent changes would be best, right?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I have an Eheim 2222 canister on that tank. I could use a piece of women's nylons on the intake I suppose, to keep them from getting sucked up.
I really want this to work, so I'll be doing this slowly. I'll be looking for different mosses and maybe move the java fern over from my 90g, as I'll be putting narrow leaf java in there.
ph swings are inevitable in a Co2 injected tank. My ph stays around 6.0-6.2, but the tap water is more like 7.0, so guess what happens during water changes? I suppose that smaller, more frequent changes would be best, right?
I have never heard that cherries have issues with PH swings... Now Temp that has haunted me. I've killed more by rapid WC due to temp than anything else IMO.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahh. Well, it could be temp swings that have given me recent problems with cardinals and rummynoses dying. I'm anal when it comes to keeping clean water (plus I have a python water changer), so I do water changes about every 2-3 days (30-40%). If several days pass before I do one, I usually do 50%. It could be temp, but I'm usually pretty careful about testing the temp as its filling up.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Hey Ringram glad to see you're going to give shrimp a try!

Some pointers.

Steer clear of Ghosts. They often die of stress, mistreatment, and old age when you get them at a LFS since they're feeders:angryfire . They also are much harder to breed than say RCS because of their FW larval stage.

I would set the tank up like you said with ADA AS and mosses. Mosses are great for shrimp tanks!! Keep the tank itself simple since you're trying to breed them!

WCs. I think you might be going overboard. Low tech tank = LESS WC. I remember reading Tom Barr post that big water changes in a Low light tank can be bad and trigger things like BBA so Just do top offs and say monthly water changes. Of course with the new ADA AS lots of water changes with Good cycled water can help it's ammonia spike go away faster. Along with seeding the tank and filter!

Cherries are really hardy, I keep my tank between 75F and 72F and they're thriving for me! So I vote for cherries!

All shrimp like anything Likes to have good stable water parameters, but I've found that a few degree temp swing when doing a WC or adding water doesn't affect mine much if at all.

Keep it simple!

-Andrew

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey Ryan

I got some cherries from IanIwane a while back, and I just dumped them into a 5.5g java moss filled tank, and I dont even do frequent water changes anymore, I just do a 50% water change every three weeks, and I have a MILLION cherry shrimp in there. No heater, very weak lights 15W fluorescent.

I have noticed though, that as it gets close to 3 weeks with no water change, many of the really red females lose their color.

I would suggest that to start off, cherries are the best. They dont need much care, just lots of vegetation. I feed them shrimp pellets.

~WW

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'd recommend a thin layer of substrate, and some MTS to eat what falls too deep for the shrimp to find. I mixed some black gravel with crushed coral in my 10 gallon shrimp tank to buffer the pH and maintain hard water for the inverts. Java moss, duckweed, and java fern are the main plants in the setup. I change 40-50% of the water once every 7-10 days.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I poured the substrate into the tank last night and put some leftover rocks and wood I had. Trying to keep it simple, but I had to have some kind of a hardscape --- isn't it a taboo not to?
Actually, the 1/2 - 2/3 bag of AS gave me an even ~1-1.5" all around the tank. That should be plenty for this setup. I'll post some pics when I get it set up. I'll probably be looking for mosses before too long (Taiwan, Xmas, Java, Singapore).. hint hint. ;)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Ok. I'm about to tackle something that I've never really had much luck with.....shrimp!
Yeah, I've tried cherrys, amanos and ghost shrimp and they never live more than a few days or a week. This will be the first dedicated setup, as I'm tearing down my 20H and will reuse the stand and equipment on a brand new 25g(24x12x20) that's sitting in my garage. I have some leftover aquasoil (1/2 bag) from my 90g, although I'll probably need another bag. There will be NO Co2, at least for now, so I'll be using mosses and maybe java ferns or other plants that don't necessarily need Co2.
What do you suggest as far as water parameters, how much water to replace at water changes, any dosing? Or, perhaps a good method of getting them acclimated and/or interested in breeding? I'll probably start with a few ghost shrimp and see how they do and if all seems well, I'll move onto something else.
-Ryan
Ryan,

Keep it with moss and java ferns. Do not add too many fast growing plants. If you have not had luck with shrimp before I would start with a neocaridina species like the cherry red.

I do weekly water changes of water is evaporated plus around 5-10% more. WC are important, low tech does not mean less water changes in shrimp tanks. As water evaporates you are going to have buildup of nitrates, etc.

-Pedro

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Pedro. I was planning on keeping it simple as it won't have Co2, although I have Fluorish Excel. I also have a 2x55w PC hood, but removed one bulb to give it a single 55w which will probably just be on for 6-8 hrs a day. I have some java fern in my 90g that I'll bring over. I also have some Anubias in the 20g I'm tearing down and I'll be getting some moss from someone on the forum I'm sure. There's a LFS nearby that sells cherry red shrimp, as well as "green shrimp" and "algae eating shrimp"(look like amanos). I may get a few cherry's @ $3.99/ea, just to help prevent too much inbreeding, but buy my main supply from someone in the swap/shop area.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
T I may get a few cherry's @ $3.99/ea, just to help prevent too much inbreeding, but buy my main supply from someone in the swap/shop area.
Just get them from swap n' shop. There are a bunch of local members for you to get RCS from so do that.

Keep it simple!

-Andrew

1 - 15 of 15 Posts