The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use a HOB filter which I'm thinking about replacing with a fluval 306 or eheim 2215 canister filter. My concern is with the cleaning and what media to put with the canisters. I currently have a emperor penguin with a 30g tank. Its lightly planted and has 4-5 fish in it. The maintenance for this is just replacing the filter every few weeks. With the canisters I've seen sponges, bioballs, floss, carbon etc etc. If I were to move to a canister which media would be necessary for my tank? I heard carbon wasn't good for the plants so I was thinking of nixing that. Would a pad/sponge(unsure of the actual name) and bioballs be sufficient? Or what setup would you recommend? Thanks

·
Registered
861 Posts
Or keep them both going you can never have too much filtration just too much current if you ask me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The ehiem 2215 has everything you need, just don't use the carbon polishing pad, on a lightly planted tank with 4-5 fish, I would think you could go 6 months before you had to clean the filter. Definitely run the hob for a couple of weeks, then get rid of it, if you want more flow, spend 10-20 bucks more and get a 2217- but, how much do you really need in a 30g with 4 fish? If you decide to add fish, that's a different story

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have no complaints about my Fluval 106 running on my 20L and Fluval 206 running on my 26g bowfront. You may also want to look at Fluval's new C series HOB filters, I just got one for my girlfriend's shrimp tank. I am not a Hagen sales accociate by the way.:smile:

I use the roll of poly quilt batting that can be found at Hobbylobby or the like cut to fit(read the packaging to make sure it is not antifungal or anything like that). This is not the type you use as cusion/pillow fill that is loose but the type that is in a folded/rolled up sheet.

In addition to the batting, I cut up a 100 micron sock style water filter as a final filter. You can find these locally if you make a few calls to water and air filtration companies. Also they can usually be found on Fleabay. I may go with 50 or even 10 micron when my replacements are used up. Polishing pads get expensive so I use these alternatives to save money.

Then biomax media supplied with the filters and added pumice volcanic rock (large surface area if what you are looking for) as the biological filtration media.

I don't use carbon, sometimes use Seachen Purigen, not often though.

Get a spraybar in addition to whatever canister you decide on. These really help reduce dead spots in the water column. Eventually you may also look at inline heaters.:proud: If you have any specific questions send me a PM.

-Zach

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I really love my eheim 2215 it is quiet and easy to use/setup.

I saw a good improvement in flow and performance over HOB I used in the past.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts