The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I have been considering getting a rodi unit because I'm tired of ammonia phosphate and high ph from tap water plus I want to eliminate the use of chemicals I have to add to tap water. (Prime and Neutral Regulator) What supplements do I need to add to re mineralize the water and what is the best holding container. I plan on getting a 135g whenever I can get my hands on one. These days it's difficult due to shipping and I live in Canada. As of right now I have a 15g and a 33g. How fast can they produce water? So many questions lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am new to fresh water but i also have been using RO/DOI since its what i am used to with my reef tanks. I use seachem equalibrium.
As for a holding container i use the grey brute trash cans from home depot.
How fast they produce water depends on the unit you buy. The most common are 75GPD and 100GPD. I have always used 75GPD as they tend to be the most efficient

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used rodi for my reef tank, but haven't set it back up since moving. I have a 75gpd unit and use a booster pump. I stored my water in a 55 gallon food safe drum.

You'll need somewhere for the waste water to go. I had mine run to my swimming pool.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
Salty Shrimp Gh+ for remineralization. Powdered stuff gives you more for your $$$. Liquids are generally too weak unless you have a 2 or 3 gallon tank.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Here's a paragraph from Dennis Wong' 2 hr Aquarist site:

Raising the GH without raising the KH can be done using calcium/magnesium sulphate; CaSO4 and MgSO4. Raising KH without raising GH can be done using potassium carbonate K2CO3.

I found this to be the cheapest and most efficient way to remineralize. So all you need is these three chemicals and a scale. You have control over the hardness you want with the cal/ mag sulfates and you set the Kh with the K2co3. I dissolve each separately in a 5 gallon bucket of RO water before mixing in my 30 gallon drum. I found that if you mix in the cal and mag at the same time there is a reaction that affect dissolution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts