The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone i have a 30 gallon tank set up with a school of white clouds, a gold gourami, some amano shrimp, and a cray. im thinking of getting 2 rams and im wondering if they would eat my amano shrimp or attack them. also wondering if they'd be fine with corydoras. thanks.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I have moderately hard water 10 DGH, pH 7.6 from the tap, and found that the German blue ram's much appreciate softer water, and a bit warmer, 82 degree's F than most other fishes I have ,so I set up a small 20 gal tank with 50/50 R/O water,tapwater and they did much better.
Bolivian Ram's accept wider range of water parameter's than the German blue ram's and their variant's.
White clouds would not appreciate the warm water the German blue ram's thrive in, in my expieriences with them.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I have kept both in hard water without issues. The germans have better color and are a bit more active. The Bolvians are larger, but much more 'calm'... I kept both in the same tank for a while before trading the Bolivians for some other fish. Never had an issue with Rams and Amanos. Hope that Helps!

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I have kept both in hard water without issues. The germans have better color and are a bit more active. The Bolvians are larger, but much more 'calm'... I kept both in the same tank for a while before trading the Bolivians for some other fish. Never had an issue with Rams and Amanos. Hope that Helps!
How hard was the water ?
I am never surprised to hear of folk's keeping fishes outside their desired ranges, but have found over some forty year's of keeping fishes,, that keeping them outside their desired ranges for extended period's,, usually result's in fishes that are NFL (not for long).
Are there exception's ? sure.Are these exception's the norm? argueably no.
Microgeophagus Ramirezi are sensitve fish and short lived (maybe three year's).Makes no sense to me to keep them in unfavorable condition's but to each their own.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
How hard was the water ?
I am never surprised to hear of folk's keeping fishes outside their desired ranges, but have found over some forty year's of keeping fishes,, that keeping them outside their desired ranges for extended period's,, usually result's in fishes that are NFL (not for long).
Are there exception's ? sure.Are these exception's the norm? argueably no.
Microgeophagus Ramirezi are sensitve fish and short lived (maybe three year's).Makes no sense to me to keep them in unfavorable condition's but to each their own.
These fish have been locally raised in Utah water. Most Northern Utah water is very hard, DGH: 13+ and PH of 8.2. TDS is through the roof as well. We have a ton of African Cichlid breeders here because the water is perfect for them!

Because they are locally raised, they have adapted over the years. We have tons of fish that are normally found in softwater, living just fine in our water. Breeding is a different story though!

In fact, I brought in some wild Brazilian Angels fish juveniles a year ago and now have the adults spawning!

Same goes for plants. We have lot of plants that are supposed to be soft water plants, but hobbyists have been able to help them adapt to our tap.

I don't think anyone would deliberately force a fish to live in 'unfavorable' conditions.

·
Registered
194 Posts
geez road master readin ur posts made me feel like i am drownin baby kittens or something , i have very very hard water ( GH 120 KH amost 180 ) and all my plants and fish adapt fine over time , think your rams would be fine with ur corys and amanos , any other small shrimp would prolly become a meal , y i got rid of my rams lol they started eattin them and then all the rest went hiding ALL the time lol

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
geez road master readin ur posts made me feel like i am drownin baby kittens or something , i have very very hard water ( GH 120 KH amost 180 ) and all my plants and fish adapt fine over time , think your rams would be fine with ur corys and amanos , any other small shrimp would prolly become a meal , y i got rid of my rams lol they started eattin them and then all the rest went hiding ALL the time lol
Happy to report that I have never drowned any kitten's, but sadly,,I killed untold number's of fishes when I first began in the hobby trying to get them to adapt to what I thought they should.
Keeping soft water species in soft water, and hard water fishes in more alkaline water's, presented me with way fewer problem's.
Opinion's vary, but proof is in the puddin.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I just put two Bolivian rams in a tank with some Cory Ehrhardti and cherry shrimp last week. No issues so far. One of the rams actually swims around with the cories. It's funny to watch but I can never get close enough to take a picture. The other ram just sits in the front corner and stares at you. Both the rams and the cories are still juvies but I don't foresee any issues. Might be a little crankiness come spawning time if they pair up but I'll deal with that when the time comes.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a GBR in a 20 with 4 Amanos. When I first put the ram in the Amanos hid for 2-3 weeks. I thought the GBR got them. But slowly they started coming out again and now they're out just as normally as before I introduced the GBR. I also have tons of cherries in the tank and I've yet to see the GBR go after one, but I'm sure she does.

As for stock, matt13 has nice rams for sale in the for sale section that are tank raised in tap water. I have not purchased from him but will do so next time.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have 7 GBR that I got very young and have been doing fine in my ph 7.8 water. I don't think GBR's are as delicate as people think. I also have 2 Bolivians and I like them as we'll but the GBR's are definitely more colorful

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have two Bolivians and a GBR in my 55 gal. The GBR is a bit more colorful, but I love the Bolivians too. When I put the GBR in he was pretty shy at first, it didn't help that he brought Ich to the tank. Once I got everyone healthy it didn't take long for him to become the boss even though he is the smallest of the three.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.