The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the fixture I am looking at...

http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-...0051&productId=1208545&store=1835&view=detail

Here is what I have currently...

http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-...10051&productId=4013483&store=595&view=detail

I am running 6500k GE bulbs in the dual shop light with foil tape as a reflector currently.

This is a low tech setup. Just want to provide a little more light, but nothing too drastic. So if/when I change, I will have 2 extra T8 6500k bulbs.

Will this be fine?

I have read all the par/lighting articles on here, but just a bit confused from all the reading, I really need someone to dumb it down for me.

Thanks in advance!

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
Do you plan on hanging it? Because the problem seems to be that it is 12 inches wide and 55's are only... 12 inches wide. lol

If you want more par at the substrate and you want to stay with a low cost shop light, consider the diamond plate t8 fixture from home depot. Great reflectors, only two bulbs. Should work for a 55.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it will be hanging. As for the diamond plate one, I already have a shop light w/ foil tap, id hate to ditch it for another. And the light is to help grow hydrocotyle sp. and micro swords. Everything else seems fine in my 55 right now.

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
If the reflectors on the fixture you are looking at are as good as your current light or better, then the extra 2 bulbs should do the trick. It will give you better coverage to the front of the tank. As long as you have algae under control, bumping up two t8's should work good.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, just not sure if 2 more T8 bulbs will do more harm than good

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I guess I am good then

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thank you very much

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.