The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been searching all day, and the ADA style stand is what im after.

Till a idea came up, and i thought i ask some DIYers for advice.

But i was wondering, since i wont be using the extra cabinet space since its a pretty low tech setup. I want to build not really a stand, i guess legs over a my mini fridge to free up even more space in my room.

The tank is about 24" x 15".

Mini fridge is 19 1/2" x 18" (door hinges take up about 5" so i really have 19 1/2" x 13" of flat surface)

I was wondering if this mini fridge would be able to hold up the weight with added supports of course. I had a 10gal sitting on it once, but thats only a 10gal.

Any design ideas? I gotta run so im typing this quick, il be back later and hopefuly i have a design figured out.

Thanks

P.S. Heres the MFK thread if you want to keep updated on my new project.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277619

·
Registered
357 Posts
Checked out your link. Very sweet job on that light upgrade. :thumbsup:

My first impression is that this isn't a good idea. Refrigerators generate a lot of heat when they're running, and that might cause some pretty severe fluctuations in your tank temperature.

Plus, I can't think of any viable setup that wouldn't cause the whole tank to shake every time you opened the fridge door...

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If I wanted to do this, I would just make the stand so the refrigerator can sit under the stand, but not support the tank. One possible design is to laminate MDF to make the stand. See my recent thread on that subject.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
157 Posts
Actually, I had a 14g (24x12x12") sitting on top of a mini-fridge for about 3 years. I don't know about your fridge, but mine was able to hold 2 people sitting on top of it without any problems. The biggest problem I found was people slamming the door (this can be controlled if you're the only one going into the fridge). The heat was never a problem for me, but then again it was in a cold room and I had a wood background shielding the heat rising from the back.

I always worried about the fridge's vibration, but never really had any problem related to this.

Here's the tank I'm talking about:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank-journals-photo-album/88313-my-54-liter-14g-tank.html

3rd picture shows the mini-fridge a bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts