The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of putting my 54g corner tank back together. I've kind of just let it go after some fish I bought ate my plants. :icon_mad: But I want it to be right this time. I had three PC retros from AH Supply - 1 55w and 2 36w. I can add a 70w HQI to the center.

The tank is 22" tall. Is 70w even going to be noticeable? I would just like to be able to keep "moderate light" plants and not worry about my PCs penetrating enough. I already have everything to add the light. Just need to know if it's worth the effort.

That would give me 127w PC and 70w metal halide. The PCs are in a triangle shape, and the HQI would go in the center, with a good reflector.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Good to see you around again! :)

It sounds good to me. I'm about to put a pair of 70 watters over my 24" tall tank very soon, and I think they are the best choice for tall tanks. The addition will definitely be noticeable... you didn't mention if it'll have CO2, but I think it would be required.

I like the MH shimmer!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really can't mount it any higher. Now, what I *could* do is eliminate the PCs altogether, but is just 70w over a 22" tall tank, 54g enough?

I had a hard time closer to the substrate, yes, and a hard time with anything that grew low, like foreground plants, which tend to be more light needy anyway.

I don't want to run CO2. I want to keep it as basic as possible. I just happen to have everything to be able to add this light, so I thought I'd ask and see what you guys think.

Thanks!!!

·
Banned
332 Posts
The MH would definitely help a great deal otherwise you are limiting what you can grow. Remember also that the MH will spread a little bit as it penetrates almost 2 feet to the bottom. I love the way tanks under MHs look.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Yes, if you turn the PCs off and just use the MH I think that would work just fine on a tank that size.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Don't underestimate the wattage of MH lamps. I have a 24X2 T5 HO fixture with SLR reflectors and geissman mid day bulbs over a 38 gallon tank. They put out a good amount of light...but it's nothing to compare when the two 70 watt MH lamps turn on. I honestly believe you could get good thick carpet growth with these lamps even if the tank was 30" deep. I don't think there's a reason to go to 150 watt MH lamps for fresh water plants. I'll post some pictures.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What kevin rating do you suggest? I don't even know what's available for HQI bulbs. I assume as low as 10,000k, but are there any that are lower?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm really about to do this...finally...

I'm having some moisture issues inside the canopy, so I am going to cut more out of the back sides to ventilate more. I may go ahead and install one or two computer fans as well before I do the 70w.

I'm debating the placement of the 70w. I was thinking of leaving the other three strips where they are and mounting the HQI in the center. Or I thought about rearranging them so that I could put the HQI nearest the back corner since that's the trouble spot, and just plan on putting a bit higher lighting needing plants there. OR..haha..putting the hqi nearer the front for a higher light foreground. Decisions, decisions!

Here is the way it is set up right now. The cords were not routed yet, but I drilled a hole right in the center of the canopy, and that's where I fed the cords out. So I'll have to redo the cords somehow. No biggie.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts