The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I pulled the anacharis out of one of my tanks and threw it in this vase, do you think it would work as a shrimp vase? Many of the stems have developed roots, I was thinking of planting them in potting mix topped with sand, maybe a small moss rock? It's not very big, maybe 1/2 gallon... is that big enough? If not, I can easily pick up a bigger bowl or vase. I am not interested in breeding shrimp, just having a few in there (how many?) to watch if it would be a suitable environment for them. It seems like ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp are the "easy" types, is that correct?

From what I have read, most shrimp seem to like warmer temperatures but those were breeding guides... can they thrive in cooler water if I have no desire to breed them? I don't have a heater for it, but I could most likely get a mini one if needed. Unheated, the temp would probably be around 68 (my house is kept at 70).

Any info would be greatly appreciated :) My only experience with shrimp was with ghost shrimp and it was very brief, because my betta decided they were a good snack...

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
Something that small and filterless. Weekly dechlorinated tap at least 50 percent. You should be ok right away. I don't think your vase will cycle anyways with no filter and no substrate and massive WC. How many shrimp are going in?

Just age the water for a day before you do your WC. There's a bunch of Bowls in the Nano section, but most of them have a substrate. This would be like keeping a betta in a big vase.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK. What about root tabs? I have some of the Flourish ones.

Edit: doesn't look like anacharis really needs much other than light so I won't use those either. Do you think that windowsill will provide enough light? If not, I have an extra gooseneck lemp and 6500K CFL bulb I could very easily hook up.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Careful with the windowsill as direct sunlight will cause large fluctuations in temperature in such a small vase. I suggest getting at least a 2gallon vase. With only 1/2 a gallon you might be looking at 5 to 10 degrees difference with direction sunlight. It would be safer with a CFL bulb setup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.