The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years of having my 125 gallon planted aquarium set up with with LED lights, pressurized CO2, using dry fertilizers on EI schedule, battling algae and spending more time than I wanted to on attending to this tank, I am seriously considering turning this aquarium into a Cichlid tank (just sand, rocks and colorful fish) and making my 55 gallon aquarium an easier to maintain planted aquarium.
Since I am new to the low tech type of planted aquarium I am looking for suggestions on how to do this. I know I could set up the 55 gallon to be almost maintenance free using the Walstad method with low lights, slow growing plants and allowing the tank to evolve naturally but could I use higher lights, liquid carbon and some fertilizers allowing me some minimum maintenance?
Besides the 55 gallon tank and stand I have a Hagen GLO T5HO light fixture.
I was wondering if I use this fixture with 2 new bulbs but raise it up higher (30+ inches above the substrate) with a shorter 'lights on' schedule would that constitute lower lights or would I be better off buying a 2-bulb “shop light” with highly polished inside reflector for bright light but not as intense lighting as the T5HO lighting system? Also is there such as thing as a low light slow growing plant tank that need fertilizers? Thank you in advance to all responding members. :smile2:

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The Hagen Glo will work fine if you have it about 25 inches from the substrate. Closer than that and you get into the low medium light area, which will also work, but you will have to use at least Excel to provide the amount of carbon the faster growing plants will need.

About the Walstad method: I have read several posts where people don't quite follow the entire method, and run into problems as a result. I suggest not using that method piecemeal, but do it just as she recommends. If you want faster growth, and are willing to spend a little more time on the tank, just use low light, much less fertilizing, and appropriate plants, with Excel if you go above low light.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.