The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After long bouts with multiple forms of algae in my planted 125 gallon tank along with the constant attention required, I am considering going to a smaller (55 Gallon) low-tech (no Co2) planted tank and making the 125 a Cichlid tank. Is it possible to have a healthy nearly algae free planted tank with no CO2 and T5HO lighting if I use Seachem Excel - liquid carbon? Or can someone suggest a different method of maintaining a bright lit non-CO2 aquarium? Also would I still need to dose fertilizers with T5HO lighting and no CO2? Thanks to any responding members. :)

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have had good luck with a 48" shop light and no excessive algae. I have a dirt, low tech, no dosing, no excel and my plants grow out of the top.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
It is very difficult, if it is even possible, to have a "low tech" tank and "bright light" too. Our eyes are terrible at measuring light intensity, and most of us who get used to high light tanks find low light tanks anything but "bright". I made my adjustment to low light, but it took me a few months to get over how much less bright the tank was. Right now I am running my tank at about 40-45 PAR intensity, with Metricide (Excel) for carbon, and dosing a very low amount of nutrients. I ran it at 30-35 PAR for about a year, with no serious algae problems, before changing to higher light a week ago. I still have only low medium light intensity, but it looks a lot brighter to me.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
There are some tricks you can employ to make the most of the lower amount of light you have appearance-wise. For example, you can use a very light substrate which will reflect substantially more light than a dark substrate will. You can also plant a lot of light green plants that reflect light as well. There is also the option of a white background which will have a similar effect to the light substrate. A white wall behind the tank may suffice as well. While these aesthetic choices will not increase the PAR that makes it to your plants it will make the light seem brighter to your eyeballs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
1) Is it possible to have a healthy nearly algae free planted tank with no CO2 and T5HO lighting if I use Seachem Excel - liquid carbon?
- Yes. I find it possible though you may have to juggle things around a bit before you hit the sweet spot or what one would call 'balance' :)

2) Also would I still need to dose fertilizers with T5HO lighting and no CO2?
- I certainly do. But it will depend largely on your plant choice. Highlight would encourage stem growth and you need to supplement the available nutrients in the water column. Micros are very necessary in my view.

Do plant very heavily when you set up the tank. Not like a CO2 tank where gaps are left. Growth will be slower but steady. Choose plants wisely and you are set to have fun.

Last word. I like playing with photo-period duration rather than illumination levels to hit the sweet spot where algae does not overwhelm the tank. A little green algae I can always live with - cost of the non CO2 system. Nothing a few Otos cannot handle.

Good luck!
Disclaimer: I am new to modern planted but been in fish keeping from the time when JFK was the President of the United States :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.