The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have some MTS left over from dirting my 40b, so I am considering converting my 5g betta tank to a Walstad. I have done some research on the subject, and I have a few plants that I think will do pretty good in this type of tank. Java fern, bacopas, amazon sword plantlets and possibly an anubias. Anyone have any advise for a first time filterless tank?

· Registered
415 Posts
Make sure the plants are doing well before adding the betta. I tried the filterless betta tank with plants and soon regretted it because some plants didnt take well so i had decaying plantsadding to the ammonia levels and I have been battling levels of nitrite ever since. I ended up adding a small filter. Good luck

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips. I set the tank up last night and added some Malaysian Trumpet Snails. So far so good. I have an anubias, java fern, bacopas, rotala indica, hygro sunset, hygro augustafolia, a few small pygmy chain swords, and some riccia in there now. I'll keep an eye on the water parameters for a bit before adding the betta. I also have a small water pump off of a tetra brand internal filter in there for water movement.

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ok, I did some work on the tank today.

Current flora list:

Anachras
2x "banana plant"
Lemon bacopa
Rotala Indica
Misc anubias
Java fern
1x Amazon sword plantlet
Water wisteria
4x Pygmy chain sword
Hygro sunset
Floating riccia

Livestock:

1x Male Delta Tail Betta (Leonidas)
1x African dwarf frog
10x MTS
4x RCS (I will be pulling more from my other tank as I see them)

I am temporarily using a small DIY sponge filter to help with water clarity and to help culture BB.

The star of the show

Another FTS

And the frog

· Registered
324 Posts
Nice!

I had trouble when I had a betta & a frog together as the betta was a pig!

He was a MUCH faster eater than the poor frog.

I ended up getting another tank for the frog so I knew the poor little guy would get enough to eat.

· Registered
890 Posts
I have 2 frogs in my betta tank. I added duckweed (the small kind) by accident but now keep it in there for them. The frogs go to the top and eat all of it they can get to.

First time keeping frogs and they just crack me up.

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just bought a 10g from the my LFS yesterday for $5! The girlfriend and I spend yesterday evening de-rimming it and transferring everything over. Unfortunately the frog died yesterday afternoon while I was at work. I am thinking about getting some duckweed to replace the riccia, I've heard that it's super invasive though so i'm still unsure. I've also bee contemplating a small diy aquaponics system to try my hand at growing some emersed plants. Thanks for all of the input guys! I'll get some pics of the new tank posted ASAP!

· Registered
303 Posts
You should definitely check out the riparium threads, I just changed my 20g high into a riparium and it's been so awesome. I highly recommend it. You can even use some house plants! I have a ton if pothos vine growing out of mine, and some real riparium plants I bought from hydrophyte. If you are interested I'd PM him.

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Sorry for the late update. As I said before, everything is now in a derimmed 10g. Here's some pics

FTS

Female Golden Wonder Killifish

Male Golden Wonder Killifish

He likes to pose for the camera

Another FTS. Sorry for the glare.

· Registered
51 Posts
Hi,

yes, Killis (as well as Bettas) are quite good jumpers. Which doesn´t mean, they jump all the time. So there will always be the danger to loose some individuals without covering the tank.
In my private opinion Bettas are best kept alone. Killifish and frog are not a good company for Betta splendens.

My favorite floating plant is Phyllanthus fluitans (but requires soft water, it doesn´t last in to hard water).

I keep most of my Betta tanks unfiltered (except pairing tank), even Betta hendra tanks are without filters (volumes of the unfiltered tanks are from 14l/3,7gallons to 20l/5,3gallons). I got no problems. Over years.
Slow growing plants I've often used: Anubias barteri var nana, A. barteri var coffeifolia, Microsorum pteropus 'narrow leaf', M. pteropus 'trident', Taxiphyllum sp. 'Spiky Moss', Cryptocoryne wendtii green, C. wendtii 'Tropica'.
Fast growing plants I've often used: Mayaca fluviatilis, Heteranthera zosterifolia, Phyllanthus fluitans, Salvinia sp.

By now, I am more into slow growing plants in my Betta tanks with only floating plants as fast growers to reduce ammonium/nitrite/nitrate. Less work with cuttung plants, less fertilizer needed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.