The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on my journal, but I think I'll get answers faster if I'll post here. I know, I'm a sneaky little bastard:)
Anyway, here's the long story short.
I would like to add 2 more discus to my 75 gallon planted tank (the one in signature). I currently have 3 2" sized discus that are doing great (I have them for 5 months I think)what do you think? I'll keep my weekly water changes, but is it a good idea?

·
Registered
767 Posts
sounds good to me, just make sure where you get them they come from a very well kept tank.

i had my discus in a 55 in my daughteres room
and i recievd some free discus, wich were not kept very well.
i put in my 75 in my living room hoping to fatten them up color them up.
long story short, i used the same python and lost half my stock.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I would get the same size if possible. I leave the tank light out for a full day, and move things around before adding them. This makes the ones you already have confused also.
I kept my last two in my hospital tank for two weeks then added them straight to the tank. They had tape worms and had to treat the whole tank. Lost several community fish. The female survived and the male didn't.
When you say you have had 2" for 5 months that sounds odd they should have grown a lot in the five months or did you get them even smaller?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would get the same size if possible. I leave the tank light out for a full day, and move things around before adding them. This makes the ones you already have confused also.
I kept my last two in my hospital tank for two weeks then added them straight to the tank. They had tape worms and had to treat the whole tank. Lost several community fish. The female survived and the male didn't.
When you say you have had 2" for 5 months that sounds odd they should have grown a lot in the five months or did you get them even smaller?
Thanks for your comments. About the size of my discus, I'm holding a ruler now and I see they are bigger than I thought:) They are actually 2.5 " now, so when I've got them they were a little bit smaller than 2". Did they grow enough in that time?
Well, I broke the strict rule of holding juvies in the bare bottom tank and feeding them 6 times a day. IDK, I read so many articles suggesting that you have to feed them frequently, but I feed them two times a day and I didn't see any ill effects or lack of energy in them, they are always first when I throw in food and always eat. What do you think?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Don't worry they should grow a lot now that they are in the bigger tank. I would add up to 5 maybe 6. For me it depends on what else is in the tank. They do get very large and need to cruise the tank. So be careful on how much plants and stuff you put in with them. They also like to have a small school of something to know they are safe. I use neons but there are lots of choices, just think neon size.
I feed my young fry as often as I could some days 3x some 2x. I did change the water ever few days because of the food mess. I now only do a weekly 50% wc. They are healthy. Mine eat ca black worms and sinking algae wafers. They love to cruise around hunting for food. They blow air at their food to get it to come to them.
Do you have Pics we love pics here. Also post with updates when you can.
What else is in the tank?

·
Registered
868 Posts
I just read your journal and wow the tank looks nice. You have a lot of fish in there so for awhile I might get the water conditions. Just to see if there might be to much bio load. There seems to be a nice amount of room for them to cruise. You may need to really keep the plants trimmed for them to have the space. They look healthy too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts