The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm thinking about selling/ trading my ADA gear off to setup a shrimp rack.

Here is what I have in mind:

2- 33g Long tanks 48x12x12/14 Don't remember the height.
4- Eheim 2215/2217
2- Current 1/15hp chillers
2- Hydor Inline heaters
2- Single 48" T5HO lighting
1- Victor CO2 Regulator with splitter and Dual solenoids.
2- InLine Diffusers
5- Bags ADA Amazonia I

Manzanita and low light plants anubias, mosses, etc for scaping.

This will allow lots of room for the shrimps and the dual filters for each tank will allow lots of bio media for keeping the tanks healthy.

Ideas or suggestion?

Craig

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you only have a single t5 light on the tank and you are planing on low light plants, I would think co2 would not be of much use. By leaving it out, you can put more money into your shrimp stock and not have to worry about balancing the co2.
That single T5HO light will push such a shallow tank into the high light category and co2 will be required.

Also balancing CO2 and shrimps isn't much harder tehn CO2 and fish just take careful watching as you adjust hte parameters and it needs to be done slowly. I've got my CO2 set at about ~30ppm and the moss and anubias get great big O2 bubbles on the leave/ fronds and the shrimp stay active in the bottom of hte tnak wihtout going to hte top.

Craig

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you're doing low light you can get good results with just a fluorescent and no CO2 honestly. Because I did that with my community tank when I first started and I had really good growth from Crypts and mosses which I used as the major plants and even got maintenance if not flourishing growth from Bacopas. Definitely consider it...I saved so much on power and on investment in lights.

But really, the reason I decided to post was because of the "getting rid of ADA gear" part so if you do decide to make your shrimp rack please PM me when you are selling your gear. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're doing low light you can get good results with just a fluorescent and no CO2 honestly. Because I did that with my community tank when I first started and I had really good growth from Crypts and mosses which I used as the major plants and even got maintenance if not flourishing growth from Bacopas. Definitely consider it...I saved so much on power and on investment in lights.

But really, the reason I decided to post was because of the "getting rid of ADA gear" part so if you do decide to make your shrimp rack please PM me when you are selling your gear. Thanks!
Most of my plants are low light but I like to keep the options open to throw in some high light carpet plants like hc, ug and such.

First thing would be to convince the wife its a good thing as it will be in the living room where my tank currently sits. Second would be to get the tanks and AS so they can cycle as I would need to have the tanks cycled to move the shrimp into.

Craig

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't think you'll need CO2 if you do a weekly water change of about 25-50%. Some people may think that is excessive but it will stop any algae, just be sure to fertilize and you could use Fluorish

·
Registered
216 Posts
Craig,
I have built a shrimp rack and you can check it out here http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/87817-shrimp-rack-project.html
I wish I had a way to adjust the distance of the lighting but other than that I am very happy with building it. It cost about 100 dollars in materials (bulk of that was for MDF board). I used 2x4's for the shelving which the mdf rests on and used 2x6 for the four corner posts. I will post some pics tonight of the finished product.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Craig,

If you are looking at starting up a shrimp rack, I might have a few suggestions for you. First, if you want a nice looking rack, and if your lazy like I am, you can go to Home Depot and grab a metal rack like this. http://www.planetinverts.com/invertzrack.html I don't recommend getting a rack like http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053. I find the all metal rack gives enough distance between the tanks. This is going to be very important as you do regular water change and maintenance. The self adjustable aspect of this metal rack is awesome. Not to mention It's a really clean looking rack.

I have experimented with both racks and I like having the metal rack more because it provides more arm space when I want to net out my shrimps, rescape, or maintenance my tank. Trust me, you'll want more arm space!

To address the bowing issue as I am sure you are thinking of, just buy wood planks and lay it on top. My current rack is set up with 4 10 gallon tanks, leaving the lowest level for my maintenance tools.

For lights, I agree with what invert1 said. You can just stick with some shop lights. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/[email protected]&ddkey=THDStoreFinder. Attach them to some metal wire cables and your all set.

Instead of using canister filters for my tanks, I decided to use HOB filters and Sponge filters. Since I am only dealing with inverts, I didn't find that I need canisters, but you can if you like. =D (Can never have too much filtration.)

I have CO2 in my tank, but if you want, you can just use CO2 during the initial setup of the tanks. As you let the tank go through a fishless cycle, blow it up with as much CO2 as you want to get good growth started before you add anything inside. I will give your mosses or Petites time to really grow in.

If you like to see some pictures of my rack, PM me and I'll be glad to show you some. Its nothing fancy tho.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Craig,
I have built a shrimp rack and you can check it out here http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/87817-shrimp-rack-project.html
I wish I had a way to adjust the distance of the lighting but other than that I am very happy with building it. It cost about 100 dollars in materials (bulk of that was for MDF board). I used 2x4's for the shelving which the mdf rests on and used 2x6 for the four corner posts. I will post some pics tonight of the finished product.

How do you like those sponge filters you picked up? Found a few places to get decent shipped rates from.

Found one $0.25 ea but $3.99 shipping for each one. :mad:

still debating/ convincing the wife it would be fun to look at.

Craig

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
no need for canisters and high flow. just inverts.. comfy hob's or spongies good.

might want to have a cover on the tanks to be safe too!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey now, it's not THAT hard to convince the wife. I mean we did go from 1 little fish tank to about a gazillion in less than a year. Give her lots of love and she'll go for it!

bigshrimpin's wifey

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Heya Craig,

If your considering building a nice shrimp rack take a look at Brian's.

He also sells some cool filter equipment for small and large scale operations. Its a real inspirational read at least:)

Regards,
Orlando

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Heya Craig,

If your considering building a nice shrimp rack take a look at Brian's.

He also sells some cool filter equipment for small and large scale operations. Its a real inspirational read at least:)

Regards,
Orlando
Dude I love Brian's tropicals! It it what got me started on terrariums and dart frogs (the vertical tanks are sweet, and I had to try one out)
Great site. His basement is my dream basement :proud: He lives relatively close to me and I always wanted to go pick up a couple of frogs and when I almost did this spring, Craig helped me decide on my mini m instead ;)

·
Registered
600 Posts
i use both of the gray racks he has in his basement at my work. i would say that if you got either of those save some money and don't get it with the decking. buy some good quality plywood and cut it your self. the decking that you can get with those racks is partical board.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Hey now, it's not THAT hard to convince the wife. I mean we did go from 1 little fish tank to about a gazillion in less than a year. Give her lots of love and she'll go for it!

bigshrimpin's wifey
I'd have to kick my own ass if I called this cute, but I'm going to do it anyway.

Cute.

:hihi:

·
Registered
216 Posts
HA! My wife jumped in my tread when I wasn’t looking! Lesson learned; do not walk away from the computer while still logged on. She's awesome.

Anyway, I too use HMF filters. 30PPI is great for shrimp and I can use a canister with out sucking up any baby shrimp. I think that they are the best filters you can get for shrimp.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts