The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So because I have a very limited apartment space at the moment (180 square feet), I don’t really have the space for as many tanks as my heart desires. This means I have to shelve the ideas for killifish and archerfish until I find a better apartment. And that in turn makes me curious: what thing (fish, shrimp, plant, whatever), are you just not ready to keep yet?

·
Registered
298 Posts
So because I have a very limited apartment space at the moment (180 square feet), I don’t really have the space for as many tanks as my heart desires. This means I have to shelve the ideas for killifish and archerfish until I find a better apartment. And that in turn makes me curious: what thing (fish, shrimp, plant, whatever), are you just not ready to keep yet?
Angel fish is a beautiful fish that I love but i have the same issue in my home...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discus and ebr. I don't trust myself to have enough time or proper tools consistently to keep them where I live.... Though I do volunteer once a month to help with maintenance at a discus breeders place so I kind of get it out of my system there. At one point in time I did opine that I lived in too cold of a climate to create a cichlid pond. Those are my biggest wants that I'll probably never do.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I really want to switch my tank over to RO water, so I can really control the water chemistry 100%. I have construction that needs to happen where my tank is, and it's just not feasible to move forward with the changeover to RO until the construction is done and I can properly route hoses, etc. Unfortunately, construction in my area is booming, and carpenters are in very high demand. I can't find a single one that can fit me in the next 3 months.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I hesitate to even ask myself this question.

I am working on a big tank upgrade with a lot of new challenges, so I really can't complain about my situation at all. But there are so many corners of the hobby I'd love to explore and once the 75g is up I'm going to be maxed out on tanks probably for good unless I win the lottery, so if I want to try something new down the road I'm going to have to clear out a tank already in use.

That said, my master's focus was in plant breeding, so what I'd really love to do is develop new plant varieties.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Love the question!!

I'm back in the hobby since January & am already prepping to breed plecos & Angelfish, but have never done a saltwater tank & unaware of the added time & resources needed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
At some point I'd like a 125+ gallon aquarium, and I'd like to keep a moderately large school of Mackerel Barb (Opsarius pulchellus) or Barilius ardens. These are just about the closest thing to trout that you can reasonably keep in a residential aquarium. I'd also like to keep a large school of 3-6" loaches in the same aquarium, e.g. skunk loaches. I think this would make for a striking and unique display aquarium.

I'd also like to do a high tech, heavily planted ~40 gallon Australian or Papua New Guinea billabong. I've never had an aquarium with CO2 injection before.

Finally, I'd like to get some wild caught Rams and do a serious and large breeding project. The current Ram gene pool is appallingly bad, and I'd like to remedy that some.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'd like to get back to large cichlids, and dabble in koi. Maybe when I retire?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Would love to do a predatory corals tank like the one I maintained during uni. Only thing stopping me is the lack of space. Currently renting someone else's space.

Another thing (due to space) is rebuilding the 1000+ gallon koi pond we used to have before we sold our home. I miss having a large water feature outside, I miss having dozens of koi congregate in the shallows for feeding.

one day...

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
MANY things, really...practically any cichlid from lake Malawi or Victoria, a high tech planted tank (I've tried to keep one before and just couldn't get it right), any blackwater fish that requires a large tank (altum angels, for example), Macropodus ocellatus (nearly impossible to find)...

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
318 Posts
There's alot
Space for tank bigger than 65 gal (that's the biggest tank I have), an axolotl, a paludarium, a razor back musk turtle,
an african cichlid tank, and a few I can't even remember.....

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Koi.

Need a huge pond which would mean in our present home converting a sizable section of the backyard to pond space and The Wife is just not willing to give that up yet.

Also making the switch to RODI. My water isn't terrible but it has high ph so I am limited in what I can keep. Switching to RODI would fix that but to do it 'right' I would need to put a big tank in my basement, plum a line from that tank up through a wall to create a spigot, and then do all my water fill-ups from there.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Koi.

Need a huge pond which would mean in our present home converting a sizable section of the backyard to pond space and The Wife is just not willing to give that up yet.

Also making the switch to RODI. My water isn't terrible but it has high ph so I am limited in what I can keep. Switching to RODI would fix that but to do it 'right' I would need to put a big tank in my basement, plum a line from that tank up through a wall to create a spigot, and then do all my water fill-ups from there.
It's a pain in the butt 😂 my turtle tub was a sump for my breeder tanks in the basement in it's past life so I had to do the opposite- long story short I can't have a bathtub anymore and it's a turtle tub instead.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
It's a pain in the butt 😂 my turtle tub was a sump for my breeder tanks in the basement in it's past life so I had to do the opposite- long story short I can't have a bathtub anymore and it's a turtle tub instead.
Yeah that is a level of dedication which would be a divorce in my house...... ;)

Honestly though.. not joking.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Yeah that is a level of dedication which would be a divorce in my house...... ;)

Honestly though.. not joking.
😂 if it didn't mean I'd be able to retire in 10 years he never would've agreed. Plus he's a turtle lover so I devoted myself to his turtle ponds and those were a true pain in my behind!! 1200- 2500 gallons of water and indoor storage for hibernating turtles and goldfish got us through it together 😂

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
😂 if it didn't mean I'd be able to retire in 10 years he never would've agreed. Plus he's a turtle lover so I devoted myself to his turtle ponds and those were a true pain in my behind!! 1200- 2500 gallons of water and indoor storage for hibernating turtles and goldfish got us through it together 😂
Dedication!! The only reason I'm getting a 75 gallon tank in our living room is The Wife didn't know how big that was until after she had agreed. I was unknowingly wise in not pointing one out to her in a store beforehand.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.