The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how much I should subtract from the glass pane dimensions for the silicone layer?

I want to build my own Aquarium and order glass with the dimensions I need. However, I do not know if I should subtract anything for the thickness of the silicone layer.

For my sump the esthetics are less important and I plan to subtract 1 mm from the with of the dividers.

I've attached some pictures of my project in this post.

Any of you help and suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.

Rik

Attachments

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
The actual silicone layer is going to be paper thin if done right. For a small project like this I would buy actual aquarium silicone instead of the GE stuff.

Reactions: natemcnutty

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
To further what @GraphicGr8s said, it seems counterintuitive to use such a thin layer of silicon, but it's actually much stronger than if you use a thick layer. You end up with more flex and more pressure on the silicon if you make it too thick, and it will fail more easily.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
What many fail to account for is the thickness of the glass when cutting the side panels.

Joey is always good for a tip or two.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@GraphicGr8s and @natemcnutty,

Thank you for your swift reply. Very helpful.

I will assume the effect of the silicone layer is negligible and obviously I'll subtract the thickness of the glass at the corners where necessary. I plan to use 1 mm (0.5 mm each side) for the dividers such that I can place the dividers and inject the silicone when the outside panels are already in place.

Time to order the glass :)

Thanks!

Rik

1 - 6 of 6 Posts