The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a pair of blue rams for my 29 G a few months ago. they didn't waste any time and started spawning right away, and have been doing that every 10 days or so since then. long story short, the male died and the female was alone for maybe 3 months. she's really doing fine and her color is really intensive. last week i bought another male from the same store and put it in the tank. at first the female came right to the male and they seem to be flirting around. however the second day they became enemies, flaring at and sometimes fighting each other. even my young daughter notices that they are "staring at each other". this really puzzles me. are blue rams like human beings, they really need some chemistry between each other to help them pair up? i have a male angelfish in the same tank and later on bought a female. they seem to pair up with each other just fine, and have been spawning every 2 weeks or so.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Blue Rams do tend to make pairs, like many cichlids, and really hate those that are not to their liking. I am having the same problems right now. I had a male and two females that were breeding with each other. I left town for 2 weeks and the male died. I have recently introduced another male and they are all constantly sparring now. I think I may have to just sell the bunch and try to find another pair that has come together naturally. There are no guarantees that they will ever like each other.

It's really frustrating cause I really like both the old male and the new male and both the females are absolutely gorgeous.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Just putting a male and female together will not guarantee a pair. For example I have a male and female GBR but they have not paired and dont spawn. They tolerate each other and sometimes seem to be getting friendly but the male still chases her daily.

The best way to get a pair is to either buy them from a breeder who knows they are a pair or get say 3-4 young fish of each sex and let them pair off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i guess i am lucky before and not so lucky this time. thanks for all the input.
You could always see if your LFS where you bought them(assuming you got them locally) will let you trade for a new male, or will take the male back and you can buy another one. Sometimes it can take a few different fish to find a good match. Some can be pickier than others from what I've heard.
Good luck!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could always see if your LFS where you bought them(assuming you got them locally) will let you trade for a new male, or will take the male back and you can buy another one. Sometimes it can take a few different fish to find a good match. Some can be pickier than others from what I've heard.
Good luck!
Thanks for the tip! I bought the fish from local Pet Supermarket. I will call them to see if they are willing to trade.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts