The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought these at lowes but am not sure if these are right for growing plants or even if they are too much without CO2. Right now I have a lot of hair algae because I accidentally added too much fertilizer and I have a DIY CO2 bottle running but don't plant on keeping it for very long.

Should I use these instead of the 14W CFLs I have on there now?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am focused a mini pellia covering most of the hardscape. There are small pieces of mini pellia on most of the rocks and in the center is 3 small rocks completely covered in it. There is also marsilea minuta and crypt parva on the left and I might replace the dwarf sag with hair grass on the elevated areas on the right.
I also have some floating plants that cover 1/4 of the tank right now.

·
Registered
754 Posts
if you didn't open the package yet, I'd return them.

I got a 4 pack of the same Ecosmart from HD and 2 out of them burnt out not even a week of use. One wasn't even a day and burnt out.

The Utilitechs I got from Lowes have so far been in use for many months now and were more reliable.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I think 6500 - 6700K CFLs (Daylight or [full spectum??]) is a must-have. I have two 10-watt CFLs over my 10g and, although the conditions of tanks vary, I'm on the edge of algae. A 20 long would be the same height as my 10, and the length I think is 24". So you're working with an extra four inches of length.

I think a 20 with two 13-watt bulbs suspended a little so you've got all the substrate covered would work - certainly 10s because of the same height.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
4x 17 (or 18) watts 6500K's at costco for less than 10 bucks.
I use 1 over a 20H angels breeder tank, grows java moss and amazon sworts.
2 over a 20L with good reflectors prob could grow about anything.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I agree with the 6500-6700k review. That is the best spectrum . I was running 5000k & had nothing but problems + I did not like the way the tank looked!. Since switching to 6500k T-8 2x ( 15 watts each) for my 10 , the tank is doing much better & I have zero algae in my tank. I do not have experience with the cfl , but I prefer the T-8 on small tanks like 10' & 20's.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Do not buy ecosmart. 2 of the ones i bought burned out in about a month and 1 lasted a day.
haha I think thats the brand I did go with and my experience was similar to yours. However there is a guarantee on the box that you can take it back to the place you bought it and get another set. If its Lowes then they offer a lifetime replacment (but its in the fine print and they will give you a new one)

I have gotten lucky with this last set lasting a few months.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I found 6500k 23 watt CFL's at walmart, I don't remember what other watts they had but I know there were a few lower.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sylvania is the only brand that has 6.5k Spiral mini CFL at Lowes. The rest of them go up to 5k. Home Depot does not carry the 6.5k Sylvanias. You want the 13 watts not the 23 watters. Your fixtures are kinda high so you might get away with the 23 watters, but keep and eye on algae. And start thinking about adding pressurized Co2...

·
Registered
711 Posts
I bought these at lowes but am not sure if these are right for growing plants or even if they are too much without CO2. Right now I have a lot of hair algae because I accidentally added too much fertilizer and I have a DIY CO2 bottle running but don't plant on keeping it for very long.

Should I use these instead of the 14W CFLs I have on there now?
if you're getting algae with the 14's, guess what will happen if you use the 23's (an increase of 160%)--more algae. :D

i think you should check out the sticky, "par data for spiral bulbs" to help you to choose the correct wattage and height placement above the tank.

as to finding 65k bulbs, ge's "energy smart" line is another brand to look for.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.