The Planted Tank Forum banner

Thermostats

720 5
I have been hearing and reading about more and more heater malfunctions and am really starting to consider hooking up thermostats to all my heaters. I'm kinda unsure about which work well and whether they work with all heaters. I really don't want to spend over $50-$75 per tank and was hoping to find something that was cheap, reliable, and easy for all my tanks.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
990 Posts
I have been hearing and reading about more and more heater malfunctions and am really starting to consider hooking up thermostats to all my heaters. I'm kinda unsure about which work well and whether they work with all heaters. I really don't want to spend over $50-$75 per tank and was hoping to find something that was cheap, reliable, and easy for all my tanks.
some heaters have thermostats built into it. I have my stick set to 71 and it will turn off once it reaches a certain point.

· Registered
174 Posts
Any thermostat that has an AC plug should accept any AC heater. The thing you will need to watch out for is making sure that the current rating (amperage) of the thermostat is higher than the maximum current the heater will consume. A common rule of thumb to be safe is that any control device (such as a thermostat) should be rated to handle twice the current used by whatever you plug into it.

The thing that can get a little tricky if you're not familiar with electronics is that often the thermostats will list their limits in terms of current while the heaters list their maximum power in watts. If your thermostat lists it's limits in watts, its just a direct comparison of that number to your heater's power. If not you need to do a little math. Fortunately it's not too hard to calculate the current of the heater in amps if you know the power usage in watts. If you live in the U.S. just divide the watt rating of your heater by 110 to find out how much current (amps) it uses.

Example:
I have a 250 watt heater and a thermostat rated for 5 amps.

250 / 110 = 2.27 amps

apply a safety factor of 2x

2.27*2 = 4.54

4.54 is less than 5, so the 5 amp thermostat will be just fine for my 250 watt heater.

· Registered
13,293 Posts
your talking about a backup system in case of failure..
Plenty on the worlds marketplace for from $10-$35...

AC 110V 10A LED Digital Intelligent Pre-wired Temperature Controller Thermostat

$16.59.. Just set it to go off a few degrees past current tank heater set point...

· Registered
12,433 Posts
I would call this needing a controller. A controller often has a probe that goes into the tank and then the heater is plugged into the controller. The thermostat on the heater normally controls the temperature of the tank but if it fails the controller will cut the power and save the fish. One can buy off the auction and I do that when I need large numbers but they can also require some DIY work. When I want a really slick looking, good unit with lots of really nice features, I go with the Inkbird for all around quality at a price that I find okay.

· Registered
7 Posts
I like Sonoff. Setup and controllable via your smartphone and wifi. You can then do stuff like monitor the temperature even if you are not home. The app is ok, and free.

Just search for Sonoff temperature on ebay, and the TH10/TH16 controllers will show up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.