The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently lost my plants and now have an almost empty tank save for a couple large rocks. My problem is my only fish, a male betta, is now attacking the thermometer. It (the thermometer) has a bit of bright red at the bottom and perhaps my li'l scrapper thinks its a rival male or maybe he was picked on by thermometers in high school, I don't know, but he's in fully flared fury mode. And he doesn't stop. He's been attacking this thing for a day and a half now. My question is whether this is detrimental to his well being. Is it too much stress? I know if I was in a fight for a day and a half I would wish for a beer and a nap, and the poor li'l guy has no beer.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I was a very keen betta keeper for a while and from my observation, some betta are more aggressive then others. But the aggressive ones usually "attack" things that are dark colored or brightly colored in nature. In many case, "painting" the tip white will do it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, thanks for the quick replies. I'm planning a full re-scape in a couple days and I'm sure he'll have more to distract him then but I was wondering if the constant fight/stress mode was bad for him. Cause, to be perfectly honest, it's quite entertaining. He's beautiful all flared out and it's neat to watch his fighting instincts take over but in a safe non-combat way. So to phrase it another way...is this the aquarium version of shadow boxing and he's getting great exercise? Or is this a horrible thing to subject my finned friend to?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was a very keen betta keeper for a while and from my observation, some betta are more aggressive then others. But the aggressive ones usually "attack" things that are dark colored or brightly colored in nature. In many case, "painting" the tip white will do it.

I would have to agree with Keithy about this. Some Betta trainers use Dark and or Bright objects to train their Bettas to move in a certain way or to increase their reaction and awareness.

If he is in full flare for a day+ now.. i would take "it" (thermostat) out or hide it. Your betta is probably exhausted and stressed out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.