The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there;

I've been monitoring one particular platy for the past few days. I've noticed there's a white spot developing near her back fin, it looks somewhat fluffy.

I've taken her "out" of the general tank and just placed in her a temporary containment while I figure this out. If it happens to be fungus, would it be recommended to leave her in the tank and treat the entire tank as it is most likely contagious ... or completely remove her and set up hospital tank for her? Could it also possibly be a wound, if you will, from the male platy constantly chasing after her (he really likes her, but she doesn't seem so interested ha). I'm not sure!

I haven't noticed anything like this on my other fish, they all appear quite healthy.

Anyway! I do have a photograph for you guys, since those are always pretty useful. I tried to take a new one for you guys. Click it, it looks better enlarged, hah. :fish:

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hard to tell in the picture could be an injury from bumping into something or fighting. Could be some type of fungus tho. Wait for a few more people to chime in to verify. If it does turn out to be a fungus quarantine the fish and run 1 TBSP aquarium salt per 5 gallons (2 days should do the trick.) From there you can diagnose any remaining problems. If that spot doesn't go away its probably a wound. Treat it with melafix it contains tea tree oil which is great for repairing fin and body wounds but isn't to affective against fungus. Also, light discourages fungus growth so keep the tank lit and maybe a temp increase to 80-82*F. Good luck with the little guy!

·
Registered
733 Posts
I agree that it's hard to tell... either wound or fungus.

From my research on fish body fungus, it's generally not contagious and mainly spreads to fish who are stressed or injured, or can be due to poor water quality. I've read that you shouldn't increase the temperature if it is fungus because it speeds its growth.

How big is your tank? To be safe, I would treat the whole tank if it's not too large. I've had fungus once in the past and it affected two of my fish and spread to a third. I didn't quarantine them and it didn't spread to any other fish. When I increased the temp the fungus spread and grew thicker. I tried quick cure at first because its active ingredients are supposed to be effective against fungus, but after a week it wasn't getting better. So I treated the whole tank with kanaplex and the fungus was gone in less than a week.

You should continue to watch her and see if the "fungus" spreads or gets thicker. If it does it probably is body fungus. I would use the salt and melafix before getting into the stronger meds (kanaplex or maracyn). I am not an expert in any of this, so if I have any info wrong ppl should feel free to chime in.

Oh, and water changes are always a good thing. Maybe 25-30% every other day for your platy.

·
Registered
228 Posts
"I've read that you shouldn't increase the temperature if it is fungus because it speeds its growth"

Wow I've always been under the impression raising temps help relieve parasite problems.Guess its different with a fungus. Thanks for the info! Ya learn something new everyday!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys,

Sorry it's taken me quite some time to reply - life gets pretty busy sometimes! I did follow a combination of both your advice, I went out and bought melafix (I've already got some aquarium salt) to have it on hand in case it didn't go away.

I took her out of the containment tank and put her back with the other fish after reading szenic's experience with fungus. In the end though, it seems to have almost completely gone without having to use the melafix.

While watching her though, I did add some aquarium salt and did the water changes suggested. When I look really closely now, I can see that the "dot/spot/mark" is still there, but very small and all the other fish are fine. She also seems to be quite normal, which is a good thing!

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.