The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a big animal lover and I try to help all animals in need but my biggest fight has been for pit bull right and it came as a shock to me to find out that NFL will let murderer come back to NFL! :icon_evil I think that he should still be in jail for what he did to the poor dogs. I think any kind of animal abuse is wrong and should be punished and people like him should not be given second chances doesn't matter if it's a pit bull, a poodle or whatever else. There is a World Wide Protest Day of Michael Vicks Return to the NFL! September 13th,2009 many cities will be participating, the press release to the Chicago media has been issued, and more info will be available. If you care and would like to participate let me know or if you have facebook you can join a cause. All the info and details will be posted on there.
http://apps.facebook.com/causes/334436/23296242?m=8267094b

Thanks for looking :)

And it's always nice to hear opinions/ sugestions :icon_smil

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
He served way more time than many would for the same (or worse offense). Since he served real jail time in comparison to a drunken killer I think the NFL may have had problems in court if they tried to extend his suspension.
I'm not saying I like what's happened or agree with the team's management. It's just that once someone has served their time they have a right to continue to earn a living. I'm not surprised he was signed, I'm just surprised who signed him.

SteveU

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Michael vick is a disgrace to the NFL and the world. I don't care if you're an athlete, a doctor, a college student, or the president - animal abuse is WRONG and everyone deserves maximum jail time. It posses me off how famous people can get a little break from consequences.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Well first off I want to say I'm no NFL fan nor animal rights activist. I think many animal rights groups are crazy (PETA's sea kittens anyone?) and occasionally enjoy playing devil's advocate so hear me out on this one.

Who the heck could bring more attention to this issue than him? LOOK at all the media coverage and apparantly on-line craziness going on getting word out about animal rights! This may be ne of the best times for the cause because who gave two cents before? At least on the national media circuit.

Stop complaining and take advantage of this opprotunity to get your message out in a sensible way.

Oh, and humans can realize their mistakes and make ammends. At least most can and he served his time and is now planning on making awareness happen, lets give the guy a chance?

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the crazy one on these forums... :hihi:

-Andrew

·
Many plants...little time
1,634 Posts
Vick served his time, 2 years I believe, and what he did was totally wrong. But if I remember correctly Dante Stallworth, killed another human being while driving drunk, and served 1 month in jail and has been suspended for 1 season from the NFL...talk about a bunch of crap! Stallworth killed a person another human being! Not a bunch of dogs!
In my mind Stallworths crimes are far worse and deserve far greater penalties.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Vick served his time, 2 years I believe, and what he did was totally wrong. But if I remember correctly Dante Stallworth, killed another human being while driving drunk, and served 1 month in jail and has been suspended for 1 season from the NFL...talk about a bunch of crap! Stallworth killed a person another human being! Not a bunch of dogs!
IMO, they both deserve longer penalties. 5 years for the animal abuse, 10+ years (probably more) for killing another person while DUI. 2 years is not enough. People shouldn't view killing dogs (or any animal for that matter, IMO) as not as important as killing other people. :icon_evil

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The action of protesting an animal abuser who is a well-known celebrity sports star carries over to protesting anyone else who abuses animals. Being a major league football player who earns millions of dollars and gets a great deal of media attention makes one a role model, people like Vick are terrible role models for our society. I would not want my kids to look up to someone like him, and I will make sure that they don't. By allowing Vick to go back to his football career, what does it teach kids? That all they have to do is serve a few months in jail and then everything will be OK? Perhaps the protests will cause lawmakers and citizens to stop considering animals merely as property that can be used and abused in whatever way one desires. If anything, the protests are certainly a great way to get the all-powerful media to focus on the often ignored problem of animal abuse. Yeah maybe it is a bunch of dogs but they are still living breathing things and he did enjoy killing them. And he has been convicted of crimes prior to this arrest. So how many chances does a person get? Or do we give second chances for each crime? The guy sure doesn't deserve to make millions of dollars.The damn dogs don't get second chances that he tortured and found entertaining. And he hasn't done anything to prove that he is changed, the cold truth is that he loved what he did and I bet you he has or supports more of these rings out there. IMO if he was truly "changed" he would have given up several of these rings to police.

I do not support animal activist like PETA I actually against them, but that's the whole another story. I simply believe that animals should be treated with respect and given a good life that they deserves.

The Stallworth story is a whole different topic and it does make me angry to think that if person is famous and has millions they have no rules and they can do whatever they want, the jail time they did is barely a slap on the wrist.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I wouldn't call many people in sports role models, they're entertainers. That in my opinion is the bottom line. With that being said there may be some entertainers around that do other things outside of their profession that is role model worthy. For example my cousins are friends with the Schillings (spelled right?) and his son is on my cousin's baseball team and he gave them all like hour long sessions to help them pitch.

But if you want an athletic role model go look at Lance Armstrong not a football player...

I think we should give the guy a chance and reconvene in a month or two.

As an aside, I want to state that there is a CLEAR difference between HUMANS and 99.99% of the other animals on the planet. The only species that we can compare ourselves too is the apes. Comparing humans to dogs is just degrading in my humble opinion.

How do you think all the pure breeds were established? There is this part in the selection process called Culling, and its not like most people on here cull there shrimp.

Blah, I am crazy.
-Andrew

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do agree that they do not make good role models but the truth is that kids do look up to these people like it or not. I can give you many examples, how about all the little girls who look up to Paris Hilton or whoever.... Kids choose their own role models and often times they are not ones we would like them to have chosen. Parents cannot control everything in kids lives no matter how much sometimes we wish we could. But what we can do is let our voices be heard and let them know that we will not just roll over and play dead. We will fight for what we believe in and stand against what we feel is wrong and that what I hope my future kids will remember. And I know that there is a difference between humans and animals but it doesn't mean that we should not take care of them and protect them, everything is connected it is just a circle of life that's at least how I was brought up. I want to be a voice for those who can not speak. I believe if we take care of this planet and it's creatures big or small it will be a better life for all of us.
And I know how pure breeds were established but I am sure they were not electrocuted, drowned or shot if they didn't do what we wanted them to do. He will answer for what he did because I am a big believer in Karma. We are superior creatures or so we think, but we should not be playing god. We can not change the past, we can only learn from it and make a better future for generations to come.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You know whats even worse... the 3 strikes and your out program in california it like you could kill 2 people and not go to to jail and you could kill 3 and only go to jail for 20 years cause i think thats there maximum (or minimum im not sure) penalty for life out there! :confused1:

[QUOTE = funkyfish;] I do not support animal activist like PETA.

Good...Have you read some of there stuff... Animals are as important or more important then humans, tell us that next time your suffering from malnutrition... friken vegens

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
tell us that next time your suffering from malnutrition... friken vegens
I know a lot of vegetarians and several vegens. None of them have chosen their diet to support animal rights. Having lived within 5 miles of the Loma Linda University Medical Center (an Adventist institution) since 1956 most of my non-meat eating friends have made that decision based on religion.
Two friends that are vegens and not Adventist converted because they see it as a healthy choice.

BTW, I like mine barely warm in the middle and sometimes even raw is good. lol

SteveU

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
after what andy reid has bin threw with his kids i think he is going to be the perfect match for Vic as a mentor and a coach. i dont like the fact he is going to be playing for my home team but i think andy reid is perfect for the job. E-A-G-L-E-S GO EAGLES...
besides we picked up a really good player for next to nothing... good move on the eagles behalf. :icon_neut

·
Registered
439 Posts
i dont know how much people actually read when they read the news, but he went to jail for racketeering and illegal gambling in connection with dog fighting. Federal Prison I might add. He wasnt in some country club and he deserves another chance as most everyone does.

Everyone needs to get off of their high-horse and quit the whining about animal cruelty. No one who keeps fish is any better. Hey lets take tropical fish and bring them to North America and keep them in a confined space and experiment on their pseudo-natural environment and feed them processed, manufactured foods.

Dog fighting is wrong, but some people actually want to lynch the guy and throw him in a cell to rot away for making a mistake that he clearly is remorseful for.

You dont see people going to jail for breeding dogs to look a certain way, all the while destroying their gene pool and creating worthless, unhealthy, disease-prone 'pure-bred' show dogs.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Give the guy a second chance. He paid his dues under our penal system and appears to be genuinely remorseful.

The protesters are largely hypocritical. Anyone who eats non-free range livestock is responsible for far more suffering than what was going on there at Michael Vick's property. While I agree that humans are superior to other animals, dogs and pigs are on par in my book; I wouldn't beat or eat either. :)

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
i dont know how much people actually read when they read the news, but he went to jail for racketeering and illegal gambling in connection with dog fighting. Federal Prison I might add. He wasnt in some country club and he deserves another chance as most everyone does.

Everyone needs to get off of their high-horse and quit the whining about animal cruelty. No one who keeps fish is any better. Hey lets take tropical fish and bring them to North America and keep them in a confined space and experiment on their pseudo-natural environment and feed them processed, manufactured foods.

Dog fighting is wrong, but some people actually want to lynch the guy and throw him in a cell to rot away for making a mistake that he clearly is remorseful for.

You dont see people going to jail for breeding dogs to look a certain way, all the while destroying their gene pool and creating worthless, unhealthy, disease-prone 'pure-bred' show dogs.
It seems to me that there is much more objection to the Iggles hiring him than there is to the length of his sentence. I'm of the opinion that he paid his debt to society, but if I were an NFL owner, I wouldn't hire him. I couldn't imagine a world in which at least 1 out of 30 NFL owners wouldn't disagree with me.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
What??? No BACON?

lol

SteveU

·
Registered
690 Posts
Well first off I want to say I'm no NFL fan nor animal rights activist. I think many animal rights groups are crazy (PETA's sea kittens anyone?) and occasionally enjoy playing devil's advocate so hear me out on this one.

Who the heck could bring more attention to this issue than him? LOOK at all the media coverage and apparantly on-line craziness going on getting word out about animal rights! This may be ne of the best times for the cause because who gave two cents before? At least on the national media circuit.

Stop complaining and take advantage of this opprotunity to get your message out in a sensible way.

Oh, and humans can realize their mistakes and make ammends. At least most can and he served his time and is now planning on making awareness happen, lets give the guy a chance?

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the crazy one on these forums... :hihi:

-Andrew
I was thinking the same thing Andrew. Coltonorr, I agree with you as well.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You know whats even worse... the 3 strikes and your out program in california it like you could kill 2 people and not go to to jail and you could kill 3 and only go to jail for 20 years cause i think thats there maximum (or minimum im not sure) penalty for life out there! :confused1:

[QUOTE = funkyfish;] I do not support animal activist like PETA.

Good...Have you read some of there stuff... Animals are as important or more important then humans, tell us that next time your suffering from malnutrition... friken vegens
They are totally screwed up in the head. PETA kills more animals than they save. I have many vegans but none of them are PETA supporters they just do it for their own reasons.

And that stuff in California is crazy, so even if you are guilty of killing someone on purpose but it is your first time you might not go to jail???? :icon_eek:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.