The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a good, hard look at my budget, I've come to realize just how much money I'm hemorrhaging on campus, between buying coffee (even the cheap stuff in the cafe, instead of at starbucks), chips, pre-made meals, etc--all of these things that keep me awake and functioning throughout the day.

It's insane.

So I decided to stop. Cold turkey, I don't care if my stomach is audibly grumbling at me in the middle of a quiet room during a test, no more campus food (Except my 4am shift when I will buy a $1.25 vanilla latte from the vending machine, since I don't have a thermos and its bloody cold out anymore).

And so here I am, sitting at work, fifty feet from the cafe, half asleep and rather peckish, desperately telling myself: "A nutty buddy and a cup of coffee is the same price as the thermometer you still need for Pearlicus' tank. Before tax, it takes you three times as long to earn the money for that soda and chips than it takes you to eat them. If you purchase that bag of M&Ms you are a failure at life and healthy food and you will die at thirty, alone, with diabetes and clogged arteries."

:icon_cry:

It's even hard to pack lunches and stuff, because I'm running non-stop from dawn until dusk most days, so I don't have the time to cut up a pile of carrot sticks and portion out hummus to 'grab-and-go' so I have something to eat during the day.

*rips hair out* Just one tiny bag of chips or something pleeeeease? :icon_neut

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hahaha I am going through the same thing!! Currently sitting in pharmacology class. Craving a hot chocolate and a bag of sour patch kids!!!

And don't get me started on smoking. Sooo expensive up here!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
935 Posts
You're stronger than I am! I have 25 cent snack and soda machines at work. It's very very dangerous. I don't drink or smoke, so I'm allowed to have a Snickers and a Coke every day. That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Life is short...snack away!

·
Registered
410 Posts
You need things that will fuel you, fill you up and give you the craving satisfaction you need. Nuts are a great source, although be careful can be high in calories. A handful of almonds can fend off the hunger shakes if I'm out and about and can't get something more substantial. There are healthy granola bars, that would take you 30sec to take it out of the box and into your backpack. Fruit!! A banana is an awesome filler and has tons of great things for you (hello potassium!). No washing or prepping required. Go to the bakery section and have a look at their breads and muffins. You can still get some relatively healthy stuff for a fraction of what a cafeteria will charge. And buying precut carrots and veggie sticks will probably still work out cheaper then crap cafe food.

A grocery store will be your best bet, and yes, take 15, 20, 30min once, twice, a few times a week to prep snacks and meals you can bring with you. But if you starve yourself, you'll just binge bigger and worse then before and thats not good for your health or your wallet! Good luck!

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
You're not going to like the solution answer but, you did hang the topic out there :hihi:

MAKE TIME

Pre-bag your food/snacks the night before.

Get over to the Goodwill or other charity resale and get a Thermos.
Not an option, introduce yourself to Tea.

A few times when I was a poor student, I got by on ram in noodles & a dli white bread back then .27 a loaf.

In between all that water is for friend. The one thing about hard $ times is it motivates you to step up in life.

Good luck

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Twenty-five cents!? How... what?? Jealous. >_>

Still... Between living paycheck-to-paycheck and gaining about 10lbs in the last two months, I can't afford to snack away T_T I'm trying to eat healthy... I gave up for a while, because I was gaining weight while eating salads (With single servigns of dressing--not like I was drowning them in cheese and ranch) and veggies are expensive, but then I sort of gave up everything and was up to a pack (of Junior Mints :icon_lol: ) a day, plus an iced tea (whose second ingredient after water was HFCS) or whatever.

So. Upon fear of ballooning out of my gorgeous wardrobe (I have some kinda neat clothes), I have to stop the snacking. And since I have bills to pay and the people in the fin.aid office are jerk faces, money is at a premium as well.

So no snacks.

But I'm so hungryyy. T_T Payday is in two days, I can try and buy healthy, portable snacks then... >_>

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need things that will fuel you, fill you up and give you the craving satisfaction you need. Nuts are a great source, although be careful can be high in calories. A handful of almonds can fend off the hunger shakes if I'm out and about and can't get something more substantial. There are healthy granola bars, that would take you 30sec to take it out of the box and into your backpack. Fruit!! A banana is an awesome filler and has tons of great things for you (hello potassium!). No washing or prepping required. Go to the bakery section and have a look at their breads and muffins. You can still get some relatively healthy stuff for a fraction of what a cafeteria will charge. And buying precut carrots and veggie sticks will probably still work out cheaper then crap cafe food.

A grocery store will be your best bet, and yes, take 15, 20, 30min once, twice, a few times a week to prep snacks and meals you can bring with you. But if you starve yourself, you'll just binge bigger and worse then before and thats not good for your health or your wallet! Good luck!
Guh! I've tried all these, haha. Bananas and I only occasionally get along (it's a texture issue for me), and I was eating granola bars for a while, but they're tough to down without something to drink. It worked for a while, but despite eating mostly whole grains, cutting out HFCS and trans/saturated fats, and having healthy snacks, some of my clothes stopped fitting in a bad way :(

I fell off the hea;thy badwagon, and I'm trying to get back on.

But money, and time and energy... I can start off with veggies, but I only get to go shopping once every two weeks, since I don't have a car and I have to rely on my roommate.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I can't function if I'm hungry!

At work, I snack all day - I bought mandarin oranges (the little cups - they're cheap and so good!), string cheese, little things of nuts, and a huge thing of french vanilla cappuccino mix from Costco (lasts forever)! Granola bars are great snacks too, cereal bars, and apples with caramel is my new addiction!

Hang in there - maybe grazing on healthy things throughout the day will help! Maybe try to make some trail mix (Chex and pretzels and all that good stuff).

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm trying to put together my shopping list for Thursday, but I have to keep it under $50, and ideally I'd have some actual "meal" food on there... I share bread, milk, and eggs with my roommate, but most everything else I'm on my own for. I have pasta multiple times a day some days ;_;

·
Registered
415 Posts
Cheese sticks are also great. Cheap and full of protein to keep ya going. I learned young from being severely hypoglycemic that snacks are a must. Also having 6 small meals a day is exponentially better for you rather than three larger meals. Frozen fruit smoothies are great too!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
410 Posts
peanut butter sandwiches! Very filling. Add sliced banana instead of jam for the sweet side.

And drink lots and lots of water. Thirst will sometimes feel like you're hungry. Make sure you're hydrated (and do not buy bottled water, what a waste! Tap or spend the few bucks to get a filter).

When I was in college I loved the heat and serve pasta mixes (green giant? Knorr?), ramen, and perogies.

Cheese is filling. Apples aren't filling but help the desire for crunch.

I need bread. If I'm hungry, its all about bread. I love cheese buns. Muffins (buy healthy ones if you can't make your own). Careful about cereal though, a serving size is probably much smaller then you think! But all that stuff is still better then a bag of m&ms!

·
Registered
498 Posts
shop at bread stores instead of grocery store, at the franz store here I can get about 20 loaves for 12 bux. freeze it until you want it and keep in fridge to make it last longer.

buy in bulk and bring it with you. you will save a lot

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
^peanut butter/nuts in general are great. when i worked as a cook, i would snack on sister schubert's dinner rolls for those carbs to keep on trucking.

lots of breads, however, can slow you down..

if you love to eat meat, like me, sliced turkey is fairly cheap and is low fat/high protein.

^keeping bread cold makes it go stale, crystallizing starches i think

for low cost snacks that you just can't phase out.. go generic, if taste permits.. $4 for oreo's $0.99 for generics...

buying larger packs of eggs and whole gallons of milk are cheaper.

i used to have a massive collection of life tips/hacks from another forum. i'll see if i can dig it up...i would embed the image.. but it's tooooo big

http://static.fjcdn.com/large/pictures/7a/04/7a04e8_1839930.jpeg

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
After a good, hard look at my budget, I've come to realize just how much money I'm hemorrhaging on campus, between buying coffee (even the cheap stuff in the cafe, instead of at starbucks), chips, pre-made meals, etc--all of these things that keep me awake and functioning throughout the day.

It's insane.

So I decided to stop. Cold turkey, I don't care if my stomach is audibly grumbling at me in the middle of a quiet room during a test, no more campus food (Except my 4am shift when I will buy a $1.25 vanilla latte from the vending machine, since I don't have a thermos and its bloody cold out anymore).

And so here I am, sitting at work, fifty feet from the cafe, half asleep and rather peckish, desperately telling myself: "A nutty buddy and a cup of coffee is the same price as the thermometer you still need for Pearlicus' tank. Before tax, it takes you three times as long to earn the money for that soda and chips than it takes you to eat them. If you purchase that bag of M&Ms you are a failure at life and healthy food and you will die at thirty, alone, with diabetes and clogged arteries."

:icon_cry:

It's even hard to pack lunches and stuff, because I'm running non-stop from dawn until dusk most days, so I don't have the time to cut up a pile of carrot sticks and portion out hummus to 'grab-and-go' so I have something to eat during the day.

*rips hair out* Just one tiny bag of chips or something pleeeeease? :icon_neut
Can you bring apples and peanut butter with you?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Buy some apples! I love apples!

Granola bars? Ew but those have canola oils...

Stick to fruit!?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are, unfortuantely, issues with buying and storing bulk foods when one is in an apartment. 20 loaves of bread(?!) is not an option, haha.

I had gotten at a BigLots one of those packs of the single-serve peanut butter cups, right? Turns out, they're mostly corn syrup, and some 250 calories per cup o_o Wut?

Nothing's wrong with canola oil, it's when you get into the "partially/fully hydrogenated" stuff is the problem. In general, though, I look for nut oils if I can... sunflower, peanut, etc.

We will see how things go this shopping trip--I'm taking bits of all of these ideas and I'll write up my list tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm once again at work, fighting the urge to get something for as long as I can. I already permitted myself one of the vending machine lattes, but I'm going to hold off on actually getting it until at least halfway through my shift. In the meantime, I have a presentation to put together >_<

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Stock up on some fruits such as apples, granola bars (look for ones with higher protein values), and nuts. Baggie up your portions the night before. To keep apple slices from going brown, coat them with a mixture of lemon juice and some water.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
I find bagging small snack sized baggies helps to manage portions as well as curb my vending machine gazes though I have my nutter butter moments. I usually pack dry goods like mix nuts, granola bars and sometimes splurge a little on those tasty Asian crackers (not those spicy green pea things). This helped me and hope it does you. I'd be happy to send ya a care pack if you wanted. We have oodles of stuff in ny.

·
Registered
948 Posts
+1 on dogfish's comment, definately make your own lunch and food. starving suxazz and will inhibit (at least for me) your performance, not to mention make you one cranky $&@"!

all said and done if I spend $45/mo on groceries, I end up spending less than $3 a day for lunch. Thats a sandwhich, a snack (fruit, yogurt, chips, etc.) and a cookie. I drink water.

of course i splurge and buy my dollar coffee as i am a machine that runs om caffine and Tea is NOT an option.

- thefisherman

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Guh. I'm not intentionally starving myself, haha. It's just a side effect of running out of time everywhere, coupled with my unwillingness to break my vow of no-campus-food. $45 a month on groceries, though? What do you eat? Because "adequate" groceries for me run around $30/every two weeks...

I have actually, on one occasion, survived about 10 days on 1 box of pasta, 2 cans of beans, a can of tomatoes, a can of corn, and a loaf of bread, plus coffee I still had, and borrowed milk. Altogether, it was about $6, but I wanted to kill myself before I touched another piece of toast by the end.

I've got a thing about generics. Certain things, I don't care. Coffee. Sugar. Milk, eggs. Basics, whatever. It's hard to screw up a bag of flour. But I sat and looked one time at a box of crackers and its generic equivalent. The generic equivalent, while a whole dollar cheaper, contained less fiber, more saturated and trans fat, more sodium, and had an extra half dozen unnecessary ingredients on the 'ingredient list'. Not worth the dollar saved, in my opinion. (I wound up getting neither, that time...)

I will opt for what's cheaper, unless there is a significant health difference, or (in the case of Meijer brand versus Malt-O-Meal versions of Lucky Charms) a huge taste difference. (Hint: Meijer can't do cereal, except their fancy version of Special K. Malt-O-Meal, on the other hand, is wonderful.) I could probably cut my food spending by another 30% if I took nothing but the "Meijer Basics" versions of everything, but by the end of that batch of groceries, I'd have gained ten more pounds, cut a dozen years off my life through sodium and trans-fat intake, and be miserable.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts