The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Today I added a Hosta, Green Liriope, and Day Lily. to my Dwarf Lilies, Creeping Jenny, and Peace Lily. I really like the Hosta and hope all of these plants last a week or two. My otos love to chew on the Dwarf Lilies. I think the Gourami chews on it a bit too. https://aquariumexperiments.com/
Hi AWolf,

Regrettably the hosta, green liriope, the Peace Lily, and probably the day lily are all terrestrial not aquatic, they will not live a long time in your tank and may contaminate the water when they die. Whoever sold those to you should have known better if you told them they were for an aquarium.

Good news, they should do fine in your garden.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi AWolf,

Regrettably the hosta, green liriope, the Peace Lily, and probably the day lily are all terrestrial not aquatic, they will not live a long time in your tank and may contaminate the water when they die. Whoever sold those to you should have known better if you told them they were for an aquarium.

Good news, they should do fine in your garden.
I do this on purpose. I take terrestrial plants and put them into my tank and arrange like a vase. The peace lily has lasted 3 months so far. I put the plants in my garden when they start to die, so I get double duty. It's fun. I've gotten about two weeks out of some really beautiful plants before I have to put them in the garden. In the past I've gotten liriope to last months as well. I am very interested to see how long the day lily and hosta will last.

I think I'll try some grasses next.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I get the Jenny potted at the nursery, and also hygrophilia difformis (isn't in the stores yet) and put them in the aquarium every year. Both change their leaves. The Jenny gets much smaller leaves and the difformis really transforms in the aquarium from round leaves to lacy leaves. Since they are not acclimated, I have to take them out every week and spray off all the dead leaves and roots for the first month or two while they conform to the water. So there is work involved to keep the tank from getting fouled with this method. But since I don't have a substrate, and don't like the look of pots in the aquarium, buying terrestrial plants and arranging them in the aquarium works well for me. I clean off the roots really well, and soak the whole plant in soapy water for a few min.s and then rinse and place in aquarium.

I forgot to mention that the oto's love to eat off the plants I bring in this way. There is something on terrestrial plants that otos go crazy eating.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
This sounds like just about as much work as any other inside garden. Really fun and interesting. Way to stick it to the folks selling aquatics at $10 for some trimmings. Keep it up!

Please keep hands off glass.
Thanks. Instant (almost) underwater art. :laugh2:

I have found UV keeps the plants longer. So I put one on this tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.