The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I've got to say that you have some of the more unusual setups, especially when compared to what is typically done today. However, if you look at the history of the aquarium hobby, and go back to the 1930's and before, many tanks were set up using similar methods. People didn't always have a lot of power filters and such you could just plug in. Your tanks do demonstrate that those old ways of doing things could actually work.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed. Having no filters is permanent, but the plants are temporary (except the floaters). The plants will suffer from lack of nutrients. Liquid fertilizers don't work as well on heavy root feeders. I'm surprised the peace lilies have lasted for the last two months, and may last much longer, but I did pull them out and clean off a few dead roots and brown leaves. They are blooming underwater. I have no idea how long the mondo grass will last, but will find out. Of course the creeping jenny does send out roots along the stem and can survive underwater in the right conditions. It still prefers to be emersed. I'm considering mimulus (monkey flower), if I can find it at a nearby nursery. It too may last underwater for a month or two. Having fun water boarding plants. :}

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I love how the coir looks like mulm. Now you just need a bunch of diatom to make it look realistic.
yes! I wonder where you can buy fake diatom bloom? .....hehehe
I'll work on it. Maybe I could cut some brown hair off an emu and trim it up just right. What a startup opportunity!

In a world of dosing, injecting, calculating, compensating, testing, way to much fiddling, you have created some cool tanks with great results! Like your page and enthusiasm.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's so fun about this setup is I can rearrange everything in minutes. Today I made a shelf on the right side of the 55g with creeping jenny emersed. The betta loves to play on the shelf. It's not just a tank, it's a fish playground. The different fish behaviors are more noticeable when the environment changes. Party on, fish, party on!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.