The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Tree of Life
I really think this is my last aquascape try. Rest just farming syn. This is a scape dedicated to God, I can say that, but is it really true? I like the title and I like what I've done so far. Dedicated for a crap life, but blessed with my animals, tanks, and family. This scape has had its ups and downs from me wanting to give up to being truly motivated back and forth and back and forth. And also has drained me completely from caring for my other tanks, but I have rebounded and got extra mana, now trying to get habitual to doing stuff daily on each of my tanks. Man, I am drained of energy, takes awhile for me to just do something. This scape is not done, but I'll show you the progressions of it as we go along. This tank will be a whole syn tank, watch, one day, I'm just gonna be spuraticly, and get very tired of seeing this scape tank, and it'll be another syn farm. If this is true, why even waste my time now. I have been holding back sharing, but I really really really want to share. No matter cause the final won't be for awhile but still show progressions slowly as to catch up on time.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Everything will be okay my friend. I like to pour my extra energy into my tanks to stay out of trouble. This year has been a bad year and I hope you find some peace working with this scape. I will subscribe and check up on you to see if everything is okay! Feel free to message me if you'd like to talk about anything.

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Times are tough-- we are all feeling it.
You are not alone.
Pour yourself into this artistic en-devour. Creativity is life-energy inducing.
Think about all the little critters and plant life that we bring to this box. They flourish under our care.
Lean into this task and just do it. Maybe it is not the task that is draining, but the procrastination.
So, try to get some forward momentum going-- soon you will be running.
(virtual hug.)

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys

Now a aquascape for me takes lots of planning and time. First thing, go hard on the aquascape. 2nd plant it well and keep everything clean. I have to plan on cleaning the substrate, keeping the hardscape in tact at all times even water change, sinking the woods ahead of time as some woods can take a long time to sink. In attaching hardscape I tried the cig filter method which i think is the best method, but was unsuccessful fully attaching jagged wood together. So the entire scape the woods are not attached to each other, so this makes maintenance a lot harder if you knock or move wood, it can easily turn into a disaster.

First is to make the main stump, the solid core of the tree. Now some or most of these beginning pictures are just nothing, not even close to the final, but just to pictures and spend time

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice. My most recent tank is 36" long x 18" wide and 12" tall. Was your tank a frag tank? Nearly square at the bottom. But man that's a lot of good real estate to work with.
Yeah it is a custom acrylic frag tank I purchased from advanced acrylics, the amount I paid was ridiculous, and it still bows a little bit despite thick acrylic. The tank is solid though. The thing with frag tanks and their square design, mainly scapes you must do a centralfuge(but can still surprise me) kind've aquascape while the rectangles you've got more lenght to work with and center design won't really work. Your most recent tank sounds really cool and nice, I really like those dimensions.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Yeah it is a custom acrylic frag tank I purchased from advanced acrylics, the amount I paid was ridiculous, and it still bows a little bit despite thick acrylic. The tank is solid though. The thing with frag tanks and their square design, mainly scapes you must do a centralfuge(but can still surprise me) kind've aquascape while the rectangles you've got more lenght to work with and center design won't really work. Your most recent tank sounds really cool and nice, I really like those dimensions.
Man I bet it was pricey. Most custom anything costs a bunch. I got lucky with mine. I paid little for some of my glass except for 3 pieces. The bottom and the two euro braces. I know it's probably overkill but meh. I feel better about the front and rear braces I've installed.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Times are tough-- we are all feeling it.
Maybe it is not the task that is draining, but the procrastination.
So, try to get some forward momentum going-- soon you will be running.
(virtual hug.)
I think this to be very true. Procrastination, if I just start its picks up along and goes naturally.

So I've got a bunch of these twigs, this will act like and compliment as a root structure to the main tree.

Man I bet it was pricey. Most custom anything costs a bunch. I got lucky with mine. I paid little for some of my glass except for 3 pieces. The bottom and the two euro braces. I know it's probably overkill but meh. I feel better about the front and rear braces I've installed.
cost me 5 bills:nerd:

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First problem I encountered was attaching the woods together. I tried two spiderwood stumps, glue, cig filter glue, silicone, couldn't. I thought if I couldn't attach all the pieces I had no scape.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So basically the hardscape 4 step build
center stump
branches out the water
thick roots branching out
and twigs acting like root structure
all together a 3d picture, spiraling all angles, center on out

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
uprooting of plants , removal of old hardscape, now its become a canvas, soaking wood need sink

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, that looks like a good start. I've been dreaming of a future tank with similar dimensions to this one. These frag-tanks-turned-planted-tanks don't seem to be very popular, so I'll be following this thread. I'm interested to see your ideas and creativity come to fruition!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Wow, that looks like a good start. I've been dreaming of a future tank with similar dimensions to this one. These frag-tanks-turned-planted-tanks don't seem to be very popular, so I'll be following this thread. I'm interested to see your ideas and creativity come to fruition!
Thanks for the comments. I love the frag dimensions especially the height. I prefer shallow over high. Highs more water volume. But I don't see many ways to scape a frag except center on out. Its also harder to make it look good from all dimensions

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since I failed in attaching two pieces of wood together, the whole scape i decided was going to be unattached. This makes it significantly harder to keep all woods in tact and shape of the hardscape i want.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts