The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow shrimp people,

I have been keeping cherry red shrimp for 6 months now. One of my Original shrimp was super red. Seriously, solid red with a pink stripe down the back. Also, one was solid red with no stripe. I have them breeding mostly in a 20 long with white sand. Most of my colony are very light in colour and I have not found many solid red. I have a small number living in a 50 gallon with black sand and i have not found any sold red in there either. Recently, a 10 gallon tank of mine stood vacant. It is not a tank for a few bumble shrimp I had/have. Unforntuantly for the bumbles they were wild caught from the petstore, so the survival was not high. I recently had a female with eggs, but they dropped in less than a week. Have not seen any bumble shrimplets mixed in with the cherries. Anyways, this tank is a lower ph than the other and has a black substrate. I decided to put pregnant super red with a stripe in there to give birth. So far the babies are growing and most have survived. It is hard to tell if any are super reds. Seriously, my original dozen shrimps had great variety, dark shrimps, light shrimps, some with brown eggs some with green some with yellow eggs. Most of my shrimps in my main colony have many clear areas on them and a mixture of light orangy red with white pigmentation, some are even pinkish with light red and white alternating patters. Maybe it is the white substrate, but the larger ones on a black substrate are also light in colour. Well, in a month or so I should get an idea what the offspring of my super red will look like, if any of them are super red also.

From those of you who are selective breeding, about what ratio of super reds should i expect to come from one litter? How dificult is it for one to propegate super red cherries? I have yet to see any fully grown super reds appear in my main colony. Any one with advice on selctive breeding a quality and about how many generations should i wait to expect a majority super reds? Next time the other super red is pregnant, i think i will let her give birth in the 10 gallon. Anyone in Chicago land with a super red/redder than usual male to donate or sell let me know. I am especially fond of my super red with a stripe.

How many of you selectively breed for a quality and who just lets nature take its course in the aquarium. Anyone get any interesting colour or patterns in their red colonies?

here is a not so great picture of my shrimp I love.

here is the red with no stripe. I need a better camera.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I'll have to check mine. I know I've gotten allot of super reds ever since I started feeding more bloodworms. I'm using good 'ole Chicago water (Lake Michigan) and I don't do anything special other than just dechlor, using Prime, age, and heat the water prior to doing a water change. I use black sand, called Black Beauty, from Diaz Pet & Rock in Plainfield.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I feed mine frozen bloodworms and I've got super red cherries too! :) They just love them! You should see them go after the freeze-dried tubifex worms. I just impale the cube on toothpicks and place it in the substrate (keeps them from floating; they won't stay stuck on the glass like it's suppose to). :)

·
Registered
845 Posts
I just let mine breed. I've got ones with the stripe, plain reds, but I sure would like the super dark ones that they call "black cherries". I have yet to get those in my brood.

I wonder how long it takes to get the "natural" cherries (brown)? I have yet to see any in my multi-generations.

·
Registered
845 Posts
LOL! You're welcome Epic! :) (yes, I remember your 'real' name, but I won't share it. LOL)

Ummmmmmmm....I actually went to be early last night, around 2am. hahaha Hey, it's true! That's early for me. You? :tongue:

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
lol. I couldn't sleep. Last post on a reef forum was at like 3:00am, then I watched some TV afterwards. :(

To make this a non-hijack post, does anyone just feed them HBH Crab Bites & Hikari Algae wafers? Mine aren't that red even though the parents are super red and I only feed these two foods. Is it because my shrimp aren't "pure" in terms of redness, or the food? I have them with black tahitian moon sand substrate.

·
Registered
845 Posts
IMO, I think it's the food, for the most part. Try feeding them some frozen bloodworms and such. They should be red, especially since they come from super red parents.

·
Registered
889 Posts
This is interesting. I am going to see if I purchase some frozen bloodworms at PetSupermarket. Do you have to store them in the freezer when not in use?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Yes and do not allow them to defrost on the counter. Keep them all frozen till it's time to feed and then just remove the amounts you plan to feed.

I prefer the Hikari brand Frozens.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I rinse (using my RO water faucet) my frozen bloodworms in a brine shrimp net, then feed them to my shrimp. Keep frozen stuff frozen and just rinse to thaw them out. Some just toss them in their tank frozen, but I prefer to rinse mine first.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Hey, I think I have a good number of the shrimp from you! And some of them are really wierd, they're like HUGE but light red?!?!? But Others that I've bred and recieved from you are sold as solid gets. My favorite is the lighter red almost pastel with no stripe.

As for feeding. Be careful with blood worms. Too much protien in a shrimp's diet Will kill it. So only feed them as a treat.

When I feed my shrimp (1 time a week more or less) I mix it up, home made stuff and high quality flake foods. Has anyone tried cyclops eze(Spelling?) It seems to be a really good flake, will get some next order from Drs. Foster & Smith!

So be careful!
-Andrew

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I use some sand from Diaz rock or whatever they are called. They had this nice natural looking quatz sand.

Hmm, me thinks it is time to feed blood worm more often.

I have never seen what one of these "black cherries" look like. I am very curious.

FishNewb- I have not sold any shrimps yet, but i have shrimps as you described. I also have huge light coloured shrimps in my population.

So from the likes of what people say, diet plays more of a factor in the intensity of colouration that substrate colour?

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I use some sand from Diaz rock or whatever they are called. They had this nice natural looking quatz sand.

Hmm, me thinks it is time to feed blood worm more often.

I have never seen what one of these "black cherries" look like. I am very curious.

FishNewb- I have not sold any shrimps yet, but i have shrimps as you described. I also have huge light coloured shrimps in my population.

So from the likes of what people say, diet plays more of a factor in the intensity of colouration that substrate colour?
Don't overfeed bloodworms though, It WILL kill them eventually... I think the ratio is around 20-30% you should feed compared to other foods.

I think I'm mixing you up with anniericebowl then, You two joined around the same time.. And I think I shipped you some plants at the same time as I traded with her... (It gets confusing shipping lots of stuff at once...)

So yes DIET, Enviornment, And Genes play a good role..

Now what the chances are of you getting a breeding line of just one color variety of RCS? Much harder than everyone thinks I assume..

-Andrew

·
Registered
845 Posts
Black cherries?? I have yet to seen one either. LOL Though there have been some threads here that claim to have some, but I don't remember seeing any pics.??? If they do have them, I wish they would post pics of them! :) -hint hint-

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't redness mostly all due to age? And maybe some of it may go to food and the water, but isn't it mostly all due to age?

And sorry if this was mentioned, I skimmed the thread. All my shrimp get blood red sooner or later though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts