The Planted Tank Forum banner

The Spawning Pool-- 75g shallow square

128517 Views 109 Replies 70 Participants Last post by  MPdesign
Hello TPT, here’s to documenting the life of my bog+pond.

Equipment
36x36x14 rimless tank, 1/2" Starphire glass, open top

Filtration/circulation-- Fluval 406, Koralia 425, Koralia 240
Heating-- Marineland 300W
Lighting-- Natural sunlight supplemented by a Kessil spotlight

No dosing
No CO2

Hardscape
125 lbs Eco-Complete, 36 root tabs
Die kraken driftwood (courtesy T. Barr)
Locally-collected rocks

Kingdom Plantae
Aquatics- Cryptocoryne sp., Microsorum sp., Nymphaea zenkeri, Sagittaria subulata
Floaters-- Limnobium sp.
Marginals & emergents-- Saururus cernuus, Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon', Pontederia cordata, Colocasia esculent 'Black Magic', Ruellia brittoniana, Canna 'Pink Sunburst', Echinodorus cordifolius, E. palaefolius

Kingdom Animalia
Vertebrates-- Ctenopoma acutirostre, Melanotaenia boesemani, Poecilia wingei, Otocinclus sp.
Invertebrates-- Ramshorns, pond snails, trumpet snails, bladder snails, feeder shrimp

The bog+pond replaces my extremely overgrown 20g High and 5.5g shrimp tank.

The tank builder was Coast to Coast Custom Aquariums in NJ. Unbelievable customer service, a real class-act. Craftsmanship and attention to details are incredible also. The underside is lined with poplar and all edges are beveled and machine-polished. Fit and finish are superb. I planned on buying that "one tank" and this is it.

The stand I constructed is made of 2x4s with panels stained a dark walnut. The panels are attached magnetically and the space underneath is for supplies and misc.

The tank is situated in a corner of a room directly under four windows. The room faces east so the tank itself receives direct sunlight a few hours a day in the morning only. The rest of the day, the tank receives indirect light slightly diffused by the window screens. The supplemental Kessil Amazon Sun runs two 5-hour photoperiods with a 4-hour siesta in the middle of the day.

The Fluval runs with sponges, bio-balls, and Purigen. With the large surface area and the concern about stagnant water, I went with two smaller powerheads. The Koralias along with the Fluval give me about 10x turnover per hour after accounting for some organic buildup.

There is no testing, no dosing, no CO2, and no water changes unless absolutely necessary. Just top-offs as I see fit with dechlorinated water. I lose anywhere from 1-2 gallons or more per day depending on conditions. In warmer weather, I combat the slight humidity in the room with a dehumidifier going nearby.

I wanted a low-maintenance tank that I could come home to at the end of the day and sit down and enjoy (much like the 20g I broke down). My submerged plant selection reflects that goal so there will be no monkeying at all on the bottom and in the water column. I went with all heavy root feeders and a couple variety of java fern (regular and Philippine). The half dozen crypt species, dwarf sag, and single red tiger lotus all get their nutrients from the root tabs, which I will replace every 2-3 months, more or less, so I expect the Eco-Complete to get better with time.

I went mainly with hardy bog and pond plants for the riparium section, all transplants (harhar) from the previous tank. The lizard's tail and chameleon plant are slowly taking over. The cordifolius sword is shooting new leaves out the water every few days.

In the pond, the Leopard bush fish hunts shrimp, unwary Endler fry/juvies, and innocent skinny-dippers. Once it gets large enough to swallow otos (which won’t be for a couple years at least), I will replace them with bristlenose plecos. Even with the predator, the livebearers population should be sustainable for the foreseeable future. There is approximately a 1:5 adult male to adult female ratio with roughly half a dozen males, and with a gestation time of just 23 days, the spawning pool sees some action. The males are constantly chasing the females in the harem. :eek: Right now, there are roughly 75 fry of all sizes out and about. And finally, the rainbows and otos swim freely and mind their business.

The juvenile delinquents

The settlers

The stranger next door...

The creepy crawlers rule their underworld

That's it for now. Thanks for reading, any questions at all, just ask!
81 - 100 of 110 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
sick! i'm getting one for my 125. how do you like him? how's the hunting behavior? does he really bother the other fish? finally, what do you feed him?
My friend had one and he was a very fun fish to watch! Left all the others alone for the most part. I do remember he had a molly in there for a while, but it was in bad shape. Watching him hunt the molly was really interesting! He'd go all inverted and swim backwards, watching it like a hawk.

· Registered
3,445 Posts
Love the bushfish! He'd turn my tank into a buffet, but he's a beauty... You ought to get some cheap guppies, put them in a small tank, let them breed 'till you have a bunch, then put 'em in. I bet it would be really fun to watch! And he'd have fun too....
I may get yelled at, but personally if they aren't horribly crowded, I have nothing against breeding small fish as fish food.

· Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Thanks everyone!

Wolf19-- the Koralias are great. I would recommend them in a heartbeat to anyone. If I were to do it again, I definitely wouldn't go for anything else. Price, looks, functionality, quality, durability, they're all there for these powerheads. :thumbsup:

· Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Thanks, I really don't have to do any maintenance at all. I do 75% water changes every 2-3 weeks and scrub down the glass of minimal algae. I top off with tap water every 3-4 days. That's about it! No ferts, no dosing, just 14 hours of light from the Kessil Amazon daily.

I think the root tabs are good enough indefinitely, to be honest. I put new ones in every 4-6 months and have not seen any ill effect. All my plants still grow like mad to this day (relatively speaking for this kind of setup).

· Registered
1,235 Posts
This tank is absolutely stunning! I love how clean everything looks! nice leaf fish, how old is it? and how do you deal with having one of them and small fish in the same tank? I have one myself that's five years old and I can only have large tetras and stuff that cannot fit in his mouth it seems.

· Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Danke!

This tank is absolutely stunning! I love how clean everything looks! nice leaf fish, how old is it? and how do you deal with having one of them and small fish in the same tank? I have one myself that's five years old and I can only have large tetras and stuff that cannot fit in his mouth it seems.
The bushfish is a year old or so. I don't really have small fish left in the tank-- the smallest I have are oto cats, but he doesn't bother them. I originally had a breeding colony of endlers in there as a food source for him, but he eventually wiped them out. Anything small like a tetra or fry become meals too, so I don't keep anything like that in there. My other fish like the rainbows and kribs and recently added sterbai cories he doesn't bother because they're all too big for him. According to my experience and that of other people, you can definitely get away with keeping bushfish in a community tank-- you just have to be choosy with the tankmates!

· Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
I keep coming back to this tank, over and over again. I just love the size, the footprint, the layout and the execution. 6 months after I first saw this thread I finally got my hands on a 24 x 24 x 12 tank. It is sitting on a dinning room table at the moment and every time I look at it I see yours. I am dragging my feet to set it up as I do have a fear: it will not even come close to your creation.

Now I feel better: it is all your fault! :)

81 - 100 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.