The Planted Tank Forum banner

The Spawning Pool-- 75g shallow square

126637 109
Hello TPT, here’s to documenting the life of my bog+pond.

Equipment
36x36x14 rimless tank, 1/2" Starphire glass, open top

Filtration/circulation-- Fluval 406, Koralia 425, Koralia 240
Heating-- Marineland 300W
Lighting-- Natural sunlight supplemented by a Kessil spotlight

No dosing
No CO2

Hardscape
125 lbs Eco-Complete, 36 root tabs
Die kraken driftwood (courtesy T. Barr)
Locally-collected rocks

Kingdom Plantae
Aquatics- Cryptocoryne sp., Microsorum sp., Nymphaea zenkeri, Sagittaria subulata
Floaters-- Limnobium sp.
Marginals & emergents-- Saururus cernuus, Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon', Pontederia cordata, Colocasia esculent 'Black Magic', Ruellia brittoniana, Canna 'Pink Sunburst', Echinodorus cordifolius, E. palaefolius

Kingdom Animalia
Vertebrates-- Ctenopoma acutirostre, Melanotaenia boesemani, Poecilia wingei, Otocinclus sp.
Invertebrates-- Ramshorns, pond snails, trumpet snails, bladder snails, feeder shrimp

The bog+pond replaces my extremely overgrown 20g High and 5.5g shrimp tank.

The tank builder was Coast to Coast Custom Aquariums in NJ. Unbelievable customer service, a real class-act. Craftsmanship and attention to details are incredible also. The underside is lined with poplar and all edges are beveled and machine-polished. Fit and finish are superb. I planned on buying that "one tank" and this is it.

The stand I constructed is made of 2x4s with panels stained a dark walnut. The panels are attached magnetically and the space underneath is for supplies and misc.

The tank is situated in a corner of a room directly under four windows. The room faces east so the tank itself receives direct sunlight a few hours a day in the morning only. The rest of the day, the tank receives indirect light slightly diffused by the window screens. The supplemental Kessil Amazon Sun runs two 5-hour photoperiods with a 4-hour siesta in the middle of the day.

The Fluval runs with sponges, bio-balls, and Purigen. With the large surface area and the concern about stagnant water, I went with two smaller powerheads. The Koralias along with the Fluval give me about 10x turnover per hour after accounting for some organic buildup.

There is no testing, no dosing, no CO2, and no water changes unless absolutely necessary. Just top-offs as I see fit with dechlorinated water. I lose anywhere from 1-2 gallons or more per day depending on conditions. In warmer weather, I combat the slight humidity in the room with a dehumidifier going nearby.

I wanted a low-maintenance tank that I could come home to at the end of the day and sit down and enjoy (much like the 20g I broke down). My submerged plant selection reflects that goal so there will be no monkeying at all on the bottom and in the water column. I went with all heavy root feeders and a couple variety of java fern (regular and Philippine). The half dozen crypt species, dwarf sag, and single red tiger lotus all get their nutrients from the root tabs, which I will replace every 2-3 months, more or less, so I expect the Eco-Complete to get better with time.

I went mainly with hardy bog and pond plants for the riparium section, all transplants (harhar) from the previous tank. The lizard's tail and chameleon plant are slowly taking over. The cordifolius sword is shooting new leaves out the water every few days.

In the pond, the Leopard bush fish hunts shrimp, unwary Endler fry/juvies, and innocent skinny-dippers. Once it gets large enough to swallow otos (which won’t be for a couple years at least), I will replace them with bristlenose plecos. Even with the predator, the livebearers population should be sustainable for the foreseeable future. There is approximately a 1:5 adult male to adult female ratio with roughly half a dozen males, and with a gestation time of just 23 days, the spawning pool sees some action. The males are constantly chasing the females in the harem. :eek: Right now, there are roughly 75 fry of all sizes out and about. And finally, the rainbows and otos swim freely and mind their business.

The juvenile delinquents

The settlers

The stranger next door...

The creepy crawlers rule their underworld

That's it for now. Thanks for reading, any questions at all, just ask!
41 - 60 of 110 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
^ haha awesome pic there. Yeah this tank is really a showpiece. I really like the fish you stocked it with as well. Really great job with everything.

· Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
The emergent plants are in pond planters that I attached to the sides of the tank with a little garden wire and tape. I also have some in hydrophyte's riparium planters that he offers for sale through this site.

Here's a shot from the other day for a 2-month update. I lost the canna and the lizard's tail over the summer. Replaced them with an arrowhead house plant. Everything else is going ok. They both just died off mysteriously towards the end of summer, not sure why. I am guessing they need outdoor light and they don't really do well after the growing season. Other than that, this tank never changes, and I like it for that.

· Registered
14 Posts
what plant is the "grass" in the front area? sorry but i dont know too many scientific names yet and google showed stuff that doesnt look like that

and what does it mean when you write "sp" after a genus name? i think thats what threw google off

thx

· Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Thank you everyone!

now that is awesome! where did you get that tank?
I had it custom made from a shop out in New Jersey, Coast to Coast Custom Aquariums. Great people. If you want more details, feel free to shoot me a pm.

How much cord did your Kessil light come with?
I want to say about 15 feet? I'll have to get home and measure though if you want an exact length, just let me know. It's a little tricky because in the middle of the cord is the power brick (or whatever it's called). Not sure why they had to put it there and not towards the end, not a good design choice if you ask me. So if you're considering hanging the light too, you might have to find a solution to mount that box on the ceiling or wall like I did (I put it on top of the window molding). Otherwise it will be hanging in the air on the way down.

what plant is the "grass" in the front area? sorry but i dont know too many scientific names yet and google showed stuff that doesnt look like that

and what does it mean when you write "sp" after a genus name? i think thats what threw google off

thx
That's dwarf sag (sagittaria subulata). http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myPlants.php?do=view&p=113&n=Dwarf_Sagittaria_Sagittaria_subulata

Pretty common plant and grows like a weed. In my case, it's choking out all the little smaller species of crypts I have around it.

The "sp." just means species. For example, you'd use it if you know what the Genus is, but are unsure of the species. Hope that helps

· Registered
2,757 Posts
I have a question, because I'd like to do something similar with my 40B...when you put the plants in the pond containers, are they in a planting medium or bare root? I ask because one other member has his sitting bare root in his tank, and I'm not sure which way to place plants in the tank.
Thanks!

· Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I have a question, because I'd like to do something similar with my 40B...when you put the plants in the pond containers, are they in a planting medium or bare root? I ask because one other member has his sitting bare root in his tank, and I'm not sure which way to place plants in the tank.
Thanks!
I throw some ecocomplete in the planters too, but very little, maybe an inch? It's mostly bare roots just hanging there and they seem to do OK. I never really gave it much thought to be honest, it seems to work on its own.

I have some of hydrophyte's planters too with the gravel he included for them. For comparison, I find that the plants in there only grow to a certain size and then stop because there's just no more room for the roots to go after a while. With the pond planters, you have a lot more space and I find them more flexible in the end because you can move plants around without disturbing the substrate you have in them. That's when it helps to have a little bit of it or none at all!

· Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Well, after 7 months, I'm going to tear this baby down. Moving into a new place and it will call for a new set-up. I have plans to sell off most, if not all, of the dwarf sag that has overgrown the front section of the tank. Also most likely some crypt spiralis and lutea.

If you are interested in a plant package, just send me a PM to call dibs and we can work something out. Right now, the plans are to move this thing during the second week of January, but we will see.

Probably last few pics before teardown.

41 - 60 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.