The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 40 of 110 Posts

· Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks again all :fish:

Looks awesome. Have you tried mixing in some other colors?
I have the red tiger lotus in there, that's about it for color. Up top I have the pink canna. My choice was limited by light and my dislike for stem plants, but then again, I'm more a fan of the monochrome look too.

what awesome dimension! i love the quasi tank/pond look in the window. It kind of reminds me of that 700 gallon indoon sunken garden project that was on here for a bit, just a lot smaller and not 700 gallons...do you have any better pictures of the finished stand and your pluming?
Sure, hope these help. I have to cut down the input/output tubes some more on the canister filter when I'm less busy one of these days.

I didn't know that you could grow Canna Lilies (which I love) as a riparium plant... what do you have it planted in and how is it doing?
I have most of the riparium plants in small pond baskets with Eco-Complete. I just attached them to the side of the tank with a little gardening wire and tape. A couple of the smaller plants I'm trying to grow out I used hydrophyte's planter set.

I had the canna in a different corner of the room when it was in my 20g and it never got much light for a couple months. It did fine, but it started to lose its red color. It's in the corner of this tank now and it probably gets the most light out of all the marginal plants. It's gotten back the colors and the leaves are pink/red/orange depending on the angle and lighting. Here's a pic of it today:

This is awesome! great idea with the endler-leaf fish combo, leaf fish are so cool. And the best part is your growing some really nice plants without breaking the bank on a light fixture.
Yup, the Endlers provide a constant food source for it :icon_evil

· Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks guys.

The tank isn't self-sustaining in the strictest sense, no. I can get away with not feeding the ctenopoma because it'll hunt the fry and shrimp. Same goes for the Boesemanis if they're hungry enough. But the endlers I still have to feed because they won't eat their fry and the shrimp are too big for them. Technically, all I have to feed are the food source themselves. If I could breed the ghost shrimp, I could guess I could call it self-sustaining, but we all know how breeding those go :icon_evil

If you're interested, I usually feed the tank twice a day with a pretty wide variety of food. Community flakes, spirulina flakes, blanched zucchini, frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, baby brine, daphnia, beef heart, and mysis shrimp (I think I got them all). It's one big mix that I do randomly day to day, so there's no set schedule. Some days I don't feed at all and I think the tank could last weeks without it, but I don't do that because I want my fish to grow, esp the rainbows, which grow so slow though they're pigs.

I might post a minor update later when I get back because things like the cordifolius sword surprised me with its growth the past couple weeks.

· Registered
72 Posts
If I could breed the ghost shrimp, I could guess I could call it self-sustaining, but we all know how breeding those go :icon_evil
I've heard they won't breed in the presence of a predator, but otherwise, they'd probably breed in there if there was a little algae and detritus.

I've got them breeding fine in a 20H. I just leave the algae on the sides and back glass, run sponge filters, and overfeed a little. Current plants are java moss and hornwort.

Amazing tank you've got there. :)

· Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well, a little update. Been pretty surprised about growth. The riparium plants have really started to take off the last couple weeks. The sword has shot up a foot and a half out of the water already and the taro plant leaves are bigger than my head!

Underwater, seems like all the root feeders are getting situated at last. I have runners everywhere from the dwarf sag and crypt spiralis. The spiralis is also out of control, starting to get long enough to form a canopy under surface. All the other crypts have gotten noticeably bushier.

The natural sunlight has been better than I imagined, really. No major algae outbreaks as I had hoped. I do a trim every week to get rid of the few leaves that do get a little bit of it to prevent it from spreading and at the same time this helps to keep the plants from getting leggy and they are responding by growing more horizontally instead.

Everyone is doing well, otos, rainbows, bush fish, endlers, snails. Shrimp are almost nowhere to be seen, mostly hunted down it seems, so I will have to refill within the next few weeks. I had the water level a little too high a couple weeks ago and lost about 5 male endlers from jumping, but the juvies are starting to show their sex already. Last count was around 10 males now, with many more females, so I still have more than I started with. It's crazy how fast these things reproduce.

Some pics included. Have a great rest of the weekend everyone.

Spectacular tank! Job well done. How long have you had it set up?
It's been set up about a month now. :)

I've heard they won't breed in the presence of a predator, but otherwise, they'd probably breed in there if there was a little algae and detritus.

I've got them breeding fine in a 20H. I just leave the algae on the sides and back glass, run sponge filters, and overfeed a little. Current plants are java moss and hornwort.

Amazing tank you've got there. :)
I might have to try that some day, thanks. Last thing everyone needs is another tank right? :icon_cool

What a wonderful and unique tank. I'd imagine it's quite the conversation starter with visitors.
Thanks, it is. Mainly I get, "Wow, that's a lot of plants."

· Registered
3,890 Posts
there are pumps in this tank? and filters? WHERE!?!?!? lol
really love this tank and the sustainable idea behind it. Especially with endless, as they are just pretty and I feel like they are hardier than guppies as well. Really digging the emergent thing too, this tank is like everything I would want to do if it wasn't for the fact that I have too many large jumpers and am not ballsy enough to do this :p

· Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks guys. It works out pretty well because the wires and tubes are hidden within the emergent section (other than one of the powerheads).

And yeh speaking of being a monster, moving it up a flight of stairs and through a doorway was quite the task... It was much more difficult moving it than setting up the flora/fauna/equipment. Just a word of warning for anyone thinking about a square tank-- best prepare extra well because moving it is an entire project in itself. You'll need to be able to flip it vertically and horizontally in transit as needed and you definitely don't want to set it down and then pick it back up. And invest in a pair of gloves with grip because it's very easy to lose it considering how bulky it is! It's not really the weight that gets you (though it certainly doesn't help), but having to deal with maneuvering it because of the shape.

· Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Thanks again all, appreciate it.

The tank was custom made. I'm pretty sure if you want a square tank, you'll have to go the custom route. As far as I know, I don't know of any retail companies that make them.

Here's an update because I actually got my hands on some new fish this weekend, six Bedotia geayi (Madagascar Rainbowfish). Saw them at the LFS and just had to get them! I've watched them for a couple hours and they keep changing colors, so that's a pleasant surprise. Silver, iridescent blue, light orange, it's great.

Fish and plants are all doing well. The bushfish has gotten enormous since getting him. Now I know why I don't see anymore feeder shrimp these days... I am looking to heavily trim back the crypt spiralis one of these days again because they're getting out of control. Dwarf sag is carpeting well and everything else is growing slowly but steadily. No algae problems, very happy. I'm totally loving the just-add-water habits for this tank.

OK, so more pics and less words.

Hunter in stalking mode

I threw a banana plant into a corner a while ago and it shot up a pretty wicked lily pad.

Wheeee!

21 - 40 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.