The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No... fresh water aquariums don't have corral... nor do they have clownfish :crying:

But I am here to bring to you, in what is my opinion, the next best thing! :grin2: Botia kubotai (The Burmese border loach)

Here is a terrible quality smartphone video of one of my favorite fish navigating my grassy swords like they were a sea anemone

:nerd::nerd::nerd: Lets Watch! :nerd::nerd::nerd:

https://youtu.be/A_IxjmUa_ag

--------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Yeah they can be a fun bunch.

By the way, looks like you might have some Botia histrionica (Golden Zebra loaches, not to be confused with Zebra loaches, Botia striata) in the group. They can look really similar at certain ages (young, different stages of markings/patterns). Main way to tell apart of B. histrionica doesn't develop the blueish-gray hue areas (bars-dots) between/within the vertical bars. Very easy to distinguish when they get older. Both species are equally peaceful and get along well.

All those Botia make a clicking/crunching sound when eating food, especially a harder pellet near the front of the glass. Crazy how it can be so audible. Never found out how they do that.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool! I always wondered why my 4 year old loaches back home never ended up getting dark and loosing those light bands. Maybe they were Histronicas :)

I do a lot of fishing in Florida and some of the game fish down there make a large croaking noise as well. Usually these fish have a device to crack open crabs and such. Since these loaches can eat snails, I assume they are equipped with the same weaponry/utensils

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have a yo yo loach and a big fat 4" SAE who chase each other playing cat and mouse until they are exhausted. Then they take a break and sit side by side and hang out.

I used to have the exact same 2 fish about the same size. When the Yo yo would "play dead" the SAE would nudge it with his nose like, "Hey, get up! Time to play!"

Tommy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.