The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My L. repens is probably the saddest ludwigia you have seen. I have a feeling it's because of lack of CO2, but maybe it's also the lighting? Its leaves will grow holes, even the new ones, and will fall off. It's a yellow-green like color with barely any of the beautiful red/magenta color it had when first purchased. Only three of the original five remain and one is starting to wither away.
Does ludwigia need CO2 to prosper and flourish? Is it even possible to keep alive in a low-tech tank?

Tank: 10g.

Lights: 2 10-watt 6500K CFL bulbs

Ferts: EI Dosing (KNO3, CSM+B, KH2PO4, K2SO4) --- I alternate between macros and micros every other day (ex: Monday Macros, Tuesday Micros , Wednesday Macros, etc).

CO2: Only what the fish and shrimp produce.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have it flourishing in two low tech tanks, a 75g and a 10g with no fert dosing at this time. I cant tell if it is shaded but it looks like it may be. It should do well in low tech.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have it flourishing in two low tech tanks, a 75g and a 10g with no fert dosing at this time. I cant tell if it is shaded but it looks like it may be. It should do well in low tech.
My phone is not good at taking pictures so it looks darker than it is. I have placed it in the brightest spots but still it will not grow or thrive even a little. Do you know what causes the holes in the leaves? I does plenty of potassium so I am a little confused. My other plants are having no deficiency issues.

What lighting do you have over your 10g?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
The leaves may ruby a little when they get closer to the light.

A very hardy plant as others have said. Grows impressive roots so water column ferts may not be needed provided there's nutrients in the substrate.

Persevere with it and you should fill the area with l repens trimmings in no time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I've had this ludwigia for about five months.

I will keep trying since I think ludwigia is a very beautiful plant and it would really stand out in my tank. The CFL bulbs I have are U-shaped and not spiral or regular tube fluorescent lights. I've had the bulbs for about a year. Have the bulbs dimmed a little, maybe? I'm not sure how often each bulb is supposed to be replaced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.