The Planted Tank Forum banner

The "Right" Eheim

1518 11
I've wanted to get an eheim canister for years now. I've been looking at the classic series, but want to get one with a nice high turnover rate for my 40B. For me, that would mean the largest of the classics, the 2217.

However, I've always believed in the idea of why buy the fully loaded civic/corolla when you can get an accord/camry for less with some of the features as standard (or insert any domestic manufacturer you want), so I've been looking at the Eheim Pro 3's, specifically the 60 or the 90.

The 40B that this would go on is planning to be an Iwagumi styled tank, so no real inhibition to flow except for the large father stone, however I keep my stuff a LONG time, and I'd imagine this filter would see all kinds of applications over the next few decades (I have an empty 55 in the other room speaking of which). Essentially I'd rather go a little powerful and not need it now but have more options later down the road.

Anyone have experiences/opinions on those three filters? Or Eheim in general?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
Like anything else on forums, you can find an unlimited amount of love/hate for any brand or type so consider this just my small word. I love several of the much older design Classic line. They have never failed me.
However the newer design 2075 has several things which make me now buy them rather than the 2217.
Both are good for me but newer design has more features to like. Cutoff/disconnect design is far better on the newer 2075. Much simpler and easier to cut the flow with a single lever to flip, cutting flow on both in and out. The classic can be a bit of trouble if you are leaning over and force the cutoff the wrong way which breaks it?
No knobs to unscrew but a simple button to push which releases both in and out as a single unit. Less water spilled on the floor.
Media trays are nice. I build DIY trays for the 2217's but premade is nice. Four sections instead of three may give a bit more potential for changes in media but I go with the standard media in most cases.
Better latching system on the newer is nice and solid. Larger size make them nice to close without as much "fiddle" as the smaller latches on the 2217.
Intake and output end sections that go in the tank are nicer. They come in small sections making it easy to leave off or add sections to custom fit different tanks without permanent cuts of the plastic. The sections on the spraybar let me direct some up and some down as I feel for better surface movement. The top cap for adding water after cleaning the tubing can be nice for some. Depends on how you work your restarts. I just fill the one tube at the sink after cleaning and carry it back to the tank. But it is nice to
have options in the way you work.
I do avoid the electronic models as I see them as a source of trouble rather than an asset when used on freshwater. I don't need the bells and whistles which are built in
trouble. I can see the flow and judge it without a meter on the filter.

Newer=better= but more expensive?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've wanted to get an eheim canister for years now. I've been looking at the classic series, but want to get one with a nice high turnover rate for my 40B. For me, that would mean the largest of the classics, the 2217.

However, I've always believed in the idea of why buy the fully loaded civic/corolla when you can get an accord/camry for less with some of the features as standard (or insert any domestic manufacturer you want), so I've been looking at the Eheim Pro 3's, specifically the 60 or the 90.

The 40B that this would go on is planning to be an Iwagumi styled tank, so no real inhibition to flow except for the large father stone, however I keep my stuff a LONG time, and I'd imagine this filter would see all kinds of applications over the next few decades (I have an empty 55 in the other room speaking of which). Essentially I'd rather go a little powerful and not need it now but have more options later down the road.

Anyone have experiences/opinions on those three filters? Or Eheim in general?
Go here for more details regarding Classic or Pro 3's.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=904297

Just stay away from Pro 3e series and you should be fine. I owned Eheim Classic (2213,2215, 2217,), Eco, Pro 3e 2078. The reason is like other has mentioned. Electric and water do not mix very well. The head pump is controlled by a computer part.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I love my Eheims, but haven't tried the Pro 3s.

I've got one Ecco, a bunch of Classics, including a 2217, and a 2126 and a 2028. I'd stay away from the Ecco line, but the others are great. Having said that, PlantedRich's comments make sense to me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have experience working with the largest Pro 3, but it was not mine. Loved the layout of the filter and the ease of customization with the pre-formed trays.

Definitely leaning towards the 2075

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
One small item I wish I were not seeing on the Eheim line?
I have a really hard time keeping up with the model numbers when there were 2211-2213, etc. then there are the 2073,2075, etc. So now they are really pressing my brain when they referr to them as 60 or 90 models!! Sure don't need more names for the same filter, do we?
But for the 2078 which is Pro3E, the filter is nice but for my use it has several features which I don't see ever needing in freshwater. Through the computer program the "E" type can be programmed to do all kinds of things like monitor the flow, adjust the flow, and even do a form of alternate flows so that you get a "wave" going. Nice for the right point but I like simple when it does all the rest well.

·
Registered
172 Posts
One small item I wish I were not seeing on the Eheim line?
I have a really hard time keeping up with the model numbers when there were 2211-2213, etc. then there are the 2073,2075, etc. So now they are really pressing my brain when they referr to them as 60 or 90 models!! Sure don't need more names for the same filter, do we?
But for the 2078 which is Pro3E, the filter is nice but for my use it has several features which I don't see ever needing in freshwater. Through the computer program the "E" type can be programmed to do all kinds of things like monitor the flow, adjust the flow, and even do a form of alternate flows so that you get a "wave" going. Nice for the right point but I like simple when it does all the rest well.
True! I have the G90 (formally known as the 2073) on a 40B. The flow is excellent with no dead spots. Priming as Rich and I have discussed in the past can be challenging at first but the filter itself I love. I have it set up right in the living room and it is so quiet that you don't even hear it! No turning up the TV! With all the number changes I'm having problems researching for a smaller Eheim for a 20.

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
Due to the way I think on finances, I tend to go with a larger than needed.
When I feel the need for new filters. I go larger as they can be turned down easily with no harm to the filter, but if I were to buy small, they can't be made to work well on larger tanks. And it is very rare for me to go to smaller!

My thinking is that I spend very little money on foolish stuff so my spending on fish can be raised?

We all have to work out ways to deflect our quilty thoughts??

·
Registered
486 Posts
I've got a 2213 on my 45P (10G). I had to swap it out for a new unit 30 days in due to a leak out of the bottom of the inflow and one at the quick disconnect (was coming from the valve). That said, I love it, dead silent...works like a champ....i understand sometimes you get bad eggs.

I have a 2075 sitting in it's box for my 120P (65G) setup...can't wait :)

I have a Penn Plax Cascade 700 on my 26G bowfront and hate it. Loud! Sounds like a refrigerator running and drives me bonkers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought the Eheim Pro 3 model 90 and the 2075 were the same thing, just renamed. That being said I can't keep all the names straight. They just renamed all the classics to 150,250...600 etc -_-

·
Registered
172 Posts
Due to the way I think on finances, I tend to go with a larger than needed.
When I feel the need for new filters. I go larger as they can be turned down easily with no harm to the filter, but if I were to buy small, they can't be made to work well on larger tanks. And it is very rare for me to go to smaller!

My thinking is that I spend very little money on foolish stuff so my spending on fish can be raised?

We all have to work out ways to deflect our quilty thoughts??
That is why I went with the G90 on the 40B. But as my 10G just has the HOB that came with the kit, I was just thinking of having a smaller canister.
I'm still debating on the next tank.....maybe a 75.....

Bump:
I thought the Eheim Pro 3 model 90 and the 2075 were the same thing, just renamed. That being said I can't keep all the names straight. They just renamed all the classics to 150,250...600 etc -_-
The G90 and the 2073 are the same, according to my manual... PIA JJust stick with a series already!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.