The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today I found out of Craig's list a guy giving all of his tanks away. So I called him and took a ride over to their place. Who can tun down free tanks. These were in their business not a fish store. All of the tanks have been down for what looks like a week or two. I notice some 2-1/2g, one had duckweed and the water is black. I asked was this a shrimp tank. Clue, he had a lot of sponge filters. Oh yes this one has shrimp you are welcome to them..... Somehow in this dank water were/are shrimp. Another Sphinx snails. So I rescued what I could. Along with 5-- 2-1/2g with lids and sponge filter. Some are new and a finnex light. I am still searching thought all of this!!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Wow good of you to take on rescuing those poor critters!

...and I'm a bit jealous about free tanks and shrimpies...

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appears to be around 25 shrimp and about the same of Sphinx. Looks like cherry but really hard to tell as stressed as they are. Possibly mutts.
Scuds.......if anyone remember I'm the one that hates scuds errrrrrr That worm stuff works on them really well. Tanks are in great shape. Funny the water was not smelling as bad as I thought it would!! The amount of duckweed had to be 1' thick on top.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Drinda!!!
Minds....Like Minds...My thoughts exactly "The Vessel" going down in the morning and spruce it up a little and place them down there. It is virtually a carpet of ?? Oh Mike knows the name looks like short Val's. While I'm down there will start setting up the 38 was trying to hold out till next week when it is cooler but oh well.
Now the Asolene Spixis Zebra Apple Snails that is the correct name. Have no idea what to do with them. They lay their eggs below the water line. From what I've been told you cannot ship. Not known to eat plants only if not fed. They are stunning. At the end of the day we have more vessels!!!!

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Nice find. Cherry shrimp are pretty hard to kill and super common so thats probably the shrimp species, but maybe you'll be surprised.

Also, I read that the shipping restrictions have come to an end... I'm not too sure though.

-Andrew

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Andrew!! On regular Brig's (ban lifted) that lay eggs above the water but somewhere I was reading the other day that these are still banned. Stunning just stunning. I know just the person to ask, will get back to you. They are reported to breed like rabbits.
Theses little things I thought were scuds.....were baby shrimp.
So help me out here I was going to put them in a tank by themselves. What about in my cherry tank? What issues health or disease wise. Have not lost one shrimp overnight. They are setting in a large bowl. I must get them in something with a filter today. The color of the adults is a very solid red. Looks like might be a good gene pool.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What should I do with these shrimp? Could I add them to my existing colony?
Some have a really really good red coloration, others that are small are not as red.
Need some help with this Thank You Karen

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
If they have survived what you describe and still have such great color, I'd say they are pretty healthy!! To be on the safe side, with all those "vessels" you might want to keep them in one as a quaranteen for a few more days. Do you have an air pump and sponge filter. Throw in a little moss and there you are! :D

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
D...This is precisely the environment they are in. The adults incredibly red, the smaller juvies seen almost clear to light red. The tiny babies are clear. Is this normal. I hate to say this but my cherry tank is just on auto I don't fuss over the babies they breed like rabbits in there. They are on black eco and their color just pops. What should I look out for disease wise and what length of time should I keep this "Vessel" going?
TY Karen

1 - 15 of 15 Posts