The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been a member for some time and every now and then I see something that I don't know the meaning to. Can someone help with with these words or phrases:

"56k warning!!!" I see this in post titles but don't know what they mean.
"40B" or any other letter after a number. Are these tank sizes?
"ROAK" = Random Act Of Kindness (this one I know)

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
56k warning= lots of pics inside. It is old internet speak for people who had dial up connections. The fact that you don't know this makes me feel old.

when a tank has "b" after it means Breeder, which is a style of shorter, rather than tall tanks. The other letters you see are related to a model number of ADA tanks.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
56k warning= lots of pics inside. It is old internet speak for people who had dial up connections. The fact that you don't know this makes me feel old.

when a tank has "b" after it means Breeder, which is a style of shorter, rather than tall tanks. The other letters you see are related to a model number of ADA tanks.
Sorry about that. I'm not good with shorten versions of words, I'm not even good with text lingo.

·
Plant Clown
4,729 Posts
30p or 60p - length in cm, ADA terminology, describes models. Not sure if it applies to other brands.
20h or 20l - a "high" or "long tank". 33l would be a 33g long tank.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
30p or 60p - length in cm, ADA terminology, describes models. Not sure if it applies to other brands.
Just to piggy-back off of this, other common letters after ADA tanks are C, F, and H. However, H can also apply to tall tanks manufactured by other companies.

·
Registered
374 Posts

I'm right with you, Overstocked. :(

I wonder how many here remember the Commodore 64's and 128's... I remember when the 128's came out thinking, "128K memory... how could you possibly need that much!" LOL.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts

I wonder how many here remember the Commodore 64's and 128's... I remember when the 128's came out thinking, "128K memory... how could you possibly need that much!" LOL.
Never had a commodore, BUt I DO have a PC Jr with a serial number below 500.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Been here for awhile and it would be nice if people would not assume everyone knows all of the abbreviations. Just spell them out and in brackets put the abbreviated form. The *TBR has a sticky with abbreviations for reference.

*That's The Barr Report

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Never had a commodore, BUt I DO have a PC Jr with a serial number below 500.
My first computer was the Commodore 64. I used to get my programs from magazines, and had to type in the whole program - something to do at night. And, at work we started with one of the original IBM PC's, went to the original Macs, and on and on. I still have a residual desire for a Commodore 128.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
My first computer didn't have a hard drive, so you couldn't do much and I was really mad I had to shell out extra cash for the HD, but it made a big difference, duh. But back then who knew and I don't even remember who made it but I am ashamed to mention I bought it on sale at Montgomery Ward for $299 and the hard drive was over $400 and proprietary.

IIRC is the only one I didn't recognize and had only seen this one recently but have learned most of the others, there is a sticky here somewhere with some of the abbreviations.

Oh, If I recall correctly, YMMV

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ha... heck of a subject for this forum. Showing our age aren't we?! :wink:
OK so who was in awh when National came out with the 4001 CPU running at a whopping 1KHz?!? How about those 8" floppys?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Man you guys are making me feel so young. I had a computer when I was younger but didn't spent much time online because it tied up the phone lines so forgive me if I didn't know what 56k meant.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts

Yea, I had an SX64 and MSD Dual Drives. And paid $950 for a GVP sidecar with a 100 meg SCSI HD and 1 meg of ram for my Amiga 500 :red_mouth

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
My first computer was the Commodore 64. I used to get my programs from magazines, and had to type in the whole program - something to do at night. And, at work we started with one of the original IBM PC's, went to the original Macs, and on and on. I still have a residual desire for a Commodore 128.
http://oldcomputers.net/osi-600.html

My first. Although that page says it was available in 1978, I'm sure my dad bought one in 1975-6, because I was still in high school. I spent many hours peeking and poking on that thing. He built the power supply for it, and eventually we got a cassette tape recorder to save programs to. This all culminated in an internship at GE in 1975 where we repurposed mapping computers to eventually wind up doing this: http://www.genigraphics.com/

Those were the days. 1702/1902, 1541/1571, MSD Duals, SX64/C64....Amis

I'm old!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts