841 - 860 of 2203 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi all - First post and all that...

I'm in the UK and looking at getting an Edge (if I can convince the Missus). Pretty new to aquaria but a good learner.

If I can get the Edge at a price "her indoors" agrees with, I am looking to stock it with pico/nano/micro (whatever) small fish.

So far, if I can get my grubby mitts on them, I have my eye on ...

Scarlet Badis (Dario dario)
Either 1 male and 2 female or 2 male and 3 female (unless you think the tank would support more)
Requirements: 18-26°C (64-78°F), pH 6.5-8.5, dKh 3-15

Asian Stone Catfish (Hara jerdoni)
Again, probably a pair or 1 male and 2 female.
Requirements: 18-24°C (64-75°F), pH 5.6-7.6, dKh 8-15

or possibly up the temp for some

Ember Tetra (Hyphessobrycon amandae)
Not sure on how many, probably 5.
Requirements: 24-28°C (75-82°F), pH 5.5-7, dKh 1-10

Also like some Red Cherry Shrimp (Neocaridina denticulata sinensis)
Again, not sure on how many of these, but at least 2 (probably a pair), maybe 4 or 5.
Requirements: 18.5-29.5°C (65-85°F), pH 6.2-8, dKh 3-15.

I would plan on swapping out the Halogens for LED's, probably around the 6500-6700 range, and maybe adding a moonlight strip. If CO2 is required then I plan on using the Fluval Chi mini CO2 setup, but would rather not if necessary.

What would be the best plants (pref slow growing and small) for this sort of low-tech setup. (if I go with the Asian Stone Catfish I may need an airstone).

·
Registered
166 Posts
What would be the best plants (pref slow growing and small) for this sort of low-tech setup. (if I go with the Asian Stone Catfish I may need an airstone).

Anubias and Brazilian Micro Sword are what I have in mine currently and are very slow growing (I'm sure with more co2 the growth rate of the BMS would be different though). I definitely recommend replacing the halogens and maybe even adding a CFL bulb if you want to keep some higher light-demanding plants.

Make sure that when planning your aquarium you place your plants somewhat strategically since there are sometimes problems with the light reaching the far corners of the tank.

As for the fish selection, I can't really comment since I don't have experience with most of those, but try and stay away from fish like bettas and gouramis since they require a larger surface area for air than the Edge can provide.

I am by no means an expert, but I hope my experience is somewhat helpful :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi all - First post and all that...

I'm in the UK and looking at getting an Edge (if I can convince the Missus). Pretty new to aquaria but a good learner.

If I can get the Edge at a price "her indoors" agrees with, I am looking to stock it with pico/nano/micro (whatever) small fish.

So far, if I can get my grubby mitts on them, I have my eye on ...

Scarlet Badis (Dario dario)
Either 1 male and 2 female or 2 male and 3 female (unless you think the tank would support more)
Requirements: 18-26°C (64-78°F), pH 6.5-8.5, dKh 3-15

Asian Stone Catfish (Hara jerdoni)
Again, probably a pair or 1 male and 2 female.
Requirements: 18-24°C (64-75°F), pH 5.6-7.6, dKh 8-15

or possibly up the temp for some

Ember Tetra (Hyphessobrycon amandae)
Not sure on how many, probably 5.
Requirements: 24-28°C (75-82°F), pH 5.5-7, dKh 1-10

Also like some Red Cherry Shrimp (Neocaridina denticulata sinensis)
Again, not sure on how many of these, but at least 2 (probably a pair), maybe 4 or 5.
Requirements: 18.5-29.5°C (65-85°F), pH 6.2-8, dKh 3-15.

I would plan on swapping out the Halogens for LED's, probably around the 6500-6700 range, and maybe adding a moonlight strip. If CO2 is required then I plan on using the Fluval Chi mini CO2 setup, but would rather not if necessary.

If you did not know, there is a 12 gallon Fluval coming out soon in the US. October I think.

You might be able to get it in the UK sooner?

Also, the newer Fluvals are supposed to have better lights.

Do a search on Youtube for 12 gallon fluval edge. There is some videos from a Canadian trade show and some from Hagen.

I'll probably get one when they come out.

I like my Fluval but I think 12 gallons would look even better!

Also, be careful when you upgrade lights. Follow the volt/wattage limit on the transformer. I burned out my transformer putting 20v halogens MR11 into the sockets and then had buy a new outfit for 40$!

·
Registered
416 Posts
My Edge [the one in the "Goodwill Edge thread] is all original lighting and filtration. It's been set up about a month now. I have 3 types of crypts and a java fern in it as well as 2 nerites and a Betta. No problem for the Betta--the filter flow is very low and there is the top opening for him to get his air.

I love this tank--it completely changes the atmosphere of my office! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!

sox

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hello, fellow Edgers.

I recently blew out my Edge light fixture (with the mr11 leds) after water splashed up onto the lights from when I was running an airstone (never again).

It smoked and was generally a toxic mess which I am lucky did not kill or destroy anything beyond the lights.

I have exchanged the unit with Hagen, but now I am wondering about the use of mr 11 leds. :icon_eek:

Do I need to switch the power transformer on this? If so, how do I do that? Is it just the transformer box plug thingy that needs changing, or other wires also?

Your guidance and contribution to electrical fire prevention is much appreciated. :help:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow! Where did you get your MR11's? I've actually knocked one out of it's socket, watched it sink to the bottom, retrieved it & plugged it back in with no issues what-so-ever. You must of gotten water into the sockets of the fixture and shorted it out? The "wall-wart" power supply for the halogens is the same power supply required for the LED's: 12v. That's assuming you are using the LED's from LEDWholesaler like most here are. Can't speak about others.....

Rick

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for your reply, Rick684. They were the same led's everyone else has here. I definitely got water on it due to the stupid airstone, which created splash. The burnt looking socket was on the side where the airstone was splashing.

I had initially assumed that it was just the water shorting it out, but then I was reading this thread again for other lighting mods and saw some discussion of a stock 24v ac transformer vs. replacing it with a 12v dc for the led's (I sent away my fixture for replacement so I can't look at its transformer at the moment).

I am relieved to know that the stock transformer is okay. I was worried some other accident might be waiting once I put more (expensive, replacement) led's in...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Inner dimensions of lighting hood

Howdy, any of you wonderful Edge owners be willing to measure the inside of their lighting hood? Also the width of the space remaining between the stock light fixture and the front of the hood... y'know, the spot where everyone has a CF zip-tied.

I'm just about ready to commit to buying one of these within the next month and I'm already making upgrade plans :icon_excl

·
Registered
4 Posts
NP tetra & you're welcome....

If you look at the webpage for the LEDs', you'll notice that they operate with either an AC or DC supply. Generally speaking, as long as the supply puts out the correct voltage and the load offered by the LED's you're using is within the range of the supply's capability, all should be OK. The supply that comes with The Edge is rated at 1700ma. That's 1.7 amps! Way more than most people will ever push with their LED setup. For example, the MR11's were talking about only draw 125ma each. That would add up to 250ma for both. That's less than 25% of the supply's capability. Mine doesn't even get warm. As far as the sockets go, if you ever need to replace one of those, they're pretty cheap & easily replaced. It would just take a small amount of soldering skills to replace one. But, since Fluval did that for you, there's no need for that.

Good Luck with your Edge ! Here's an FTS of mine with the LED lighting......

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
I see some people upgrading to the Zoo Med 501, what about the TOM Aquarium Rapids Mini Canister http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Rapids-Canister-hang-tank/dp/B000YJ0M1E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1306936760&sr=1-2[/URL]
I can chime in here about the TOM Mini Canister, I have it on my 'monster' tank for some auxiliary bio-filtration... it works well, quite a little power-horse, and quiet too. However, its kind of hard to clean because you can't separate the canister from the intake/outake. Basically you have to lift the whole thing off the tank, intake spray bar and all. I suppose that ultimately the difficulty of this depends on your setup, although on mine it definitely sucks because its hanging off the back of a 30 gal that lives on the bottom rack of my tank stand. Pretty annoying, which is why I only keep bio-media in it and service it maybe every 2-3 months.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I've seen many people upgrade they're filter but I think the stock aquaclear filter is perfect for this little tank. Hopefully your plants will be doing most of the filtering for you.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
awesome tank and color choices. its too bad those stems up front are so tedious to trim frequently to prevent them from ruining that nice look.

841 - 860 of 2203 Posts