The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Welcome to another episode of Aquahound's Dirty Little Secrets. In this episode I go over The Nitrogen Cycle aka "The Silent Killer". We all go through this cycle when starting up a new tank and taking the time to let the bacteria grow is very vital to having success. It is exciting when you get your tank up to where it's time to add fish, but don't rush as we must take the necessary steps to overcome the Nitrogen Cycle. I hope this episode is informative and entertaining as I try to explain one of the most least understood and discouraging topics in the hobby. Enjoy :biggrin: Follow the link below to my Youtube video for an overview on The Nitrogen Cycle!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhBHxzV1jqI

·
Super Moderator
12,025 Posts
Ammonia is a bacteria.
And then you have the next bacteria, and that's nitrite.
Should I leave my lights on when I cycle my tank?
Sure - that's just going to help with the growth of the bacteria
The above information (from your video) are incorrect - you may want to fix them. They were the more glaring errors that I found.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yep they did. Just wish I could get that stuff you used here in Australia. I'm going the six week route. Yay. *sarcasm*

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks mate.

I have learned heaps by reading.. had a few disasters but I am learning from each mistake. At least there will be no fish casualties.

A friend of mine was complaining of persistent algae in her tank so I was able to help her from what I read on the forums, she was leaving her tank light on overnight as a night light for her son and the tank was near a window. Felt good to be able to help someone out... makes all the reading and learning worthwhile.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks mate.

I have learned heaps by reading.. had a few disasters but I am learning from each mistake. At least there will be no fish casualties.

A friend of mine was complaining of persistent algae in her tank so I was able to help her from what I read on the forums, she was leaving her tank light on overnight as a night light for her son and the tank was near a window. Felt good to be able to help someone out... makes all the reading and learning worthwhile.
It sure does and that's the same reason I make my videos...to share what I have learned about the hobby with the folks :proud:

good video thanks brother. i shared it with a few friends.
Thanks man and your tanks look pretty awesome :biggrin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts