The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks-

I have a 29gallon tank- been setup for a couple of months or so. Old pics are in profile. I recently rearranged the plants while I waited for a couple of new coralife fixtures to arrive. Sort of an early X-mas present for myself.

I've been rigging & re-using old fixtures- but they've been performing. The lighting WAS a current 20" w/ 40W CFL, and a rigged hood retrofitted with 2 18w CFL's, 7200K.

I ramped up the DIY CO2 via a hydor diffuser, and had a DIY reactor above the Hydor, and got darn near 100% diffusion. Growth exploded :)

SO- my new used fixtures came in, I couldn't wait to get them on the tank. I was unhappy to find out they had actinic & 10K bulbs- but I had a new colormax lying about, so I swapped one of the actinics, and moved the 10K's to one fixture.

I'm running the actinic / colormax on one fixture, and two 10K's on the other. The bulbs, except for the colormax (which is brand new) are showing black at the ends. I'm guessing that's why the tank is darker now than it was with less watts.

As the title says-- I'm confused. Should I just swap everything out for 6500K and be done with it? I can't become an expert on lighting, handle school, a full-time job, and a family all at the same time-- but I'm trying.

Can someone throw me a bone please? :)

BTW, the fixtures are 24", 24W T5HO, dual bulb.

Thanks kindly in advance!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm no expert though I'll give it a shot. 10K bulbs are somewhat closer to UV light spectrum. Plants don't use much of that spectrum so you should see a decline in growth if you are using just the 10K bulbs as photosynthesis will decrease.

That is if we're talking about a planted tank :) The mentioning of CO2 is what told me we're talking planted not marine.

If you compensate with a bulb in the red spectrum you should be fine with a pair of 10K and 4K.

·
Registered
361 Posts
When I ran t5no I liked 6500k/10k bulbs in the fixtures because it wasn't as "yellow" as just straight 6500k. The plants really seemed to like it as well. The 10k looks "brighter" as well, so it made the colors pop a little better IMO. I've never been a fan of the colormax bulbs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah, I'm not particularly happy with what I'm seeing from the "for the moment" combination of bulbs-- plants look blah, and there is no noticeable growth, whereas a week or so ago, some seemed to grow while I watched the tank.

The Colormax is not something I'd buy again-- I happened upon it on clearance for like $4 a couple of years ago so I picked it up for future use.

I think the lack of light is a result of the bulbs being old. I was really expecting much more from 4 t5ho's, even if not the correct spectrum. Honestly, I was better off with the 3 year old 40w current fixture, and DIY 13W's (X2) I got pearling, and -- like I mentioned-- I could almost watch the plants grow. Here's a pic today---

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.